Sunday, October 21, 2018

Fins vs. Skins: Hipsters Don't Lie


 Fantastic Flipper Necklace

Fairy Fish Tale Necklace

Top: Decree, JCPenney
Skirt: Marilyn Monroe, Macy's
Shoes: Worthington, JCPenney
Bag: Nordstrom
Scarf: A.C. Moore

Some years ago, I was at the Brigantine farmer's market with the husband, standing in line for mini doughnuts (just out of the fryer, they slid down this little metal chute that was the last word in cuteness), when I overheard a group of twentysomethings behind us talking.  They were extolling the virtues of salt water -- well, as much as anyone in a pork pie hat can extol anything -- saying how swimming in the ocean could clear up your skin.  As a lifelong acne sufferer, they had me at "clear."  So I was already listening when their conversation moved on to the market's offerings, one kid exclaiming, "Dude, they've got stuff here you never knew you wanted!"  I wanted to laugh -- or pull him aside and say, "Hey, I know where you can get some grade A JELL-O mold jewelry . . . "  But I did neither.  Instead, I enjoyed the silent, wise crack-rich commentary that only comes from eavesdropping.  And, of course, the not-so-silent part that came when the husband and I talked about it on the walk home.  

Still, it wasn't all fun and fried pastry.  Young Pork Pie was onto something when he alluded to the sea's peerless power.  Mysterious and bottomless, these waters wield a profound magic, the kind that has captivated sailors and storytellers for centuries.  Which is why I'm drawn to them and lived by them and made these here mermaidy necklaces.  (If Fantastic Flipper looks familiar, then that's because it's the fraternal twin of Whimsical Waters.)  Sparkly and blue, they're also ever-so-slightly old looking, which is just the right amount for wearable seaside souvenirs for people who've never left their couches.  

Finally, I can promise you that, unlike other stuff that comes from the ocean, no one has ever peed on these.

Not bad, huh?  Now if only they could get rid of pimples . . .       

3 comments:

Samantha said...

So cute!!! The little blue dolphins are adorable (I thought fantastic flipper looked familiar!), and I especially love the mermaid tail necklace! Ahhh, farmers market; I love it there. Those doughnuts are so yummy, too! I love the conversation you overheard (eavesdropping can be so inspirational, can't it?), and you're right about the sea's mysterious power. You're very fortunate to have lived by it. Your final statements had me laughing!!! Really pretty outfit also; I love white and black stripes with hot pink. :)

Jewel Divas Style said...

God, talking of pimples, I've been having bad bouts of acne for the last year since coming off the pill. Blech! Although, I do find that taking a magnesium and zinc pill every night seems to make them heal faster than they used to so try that. I take them in a combined pill.

Dressed With Soul said...

It is so often interesting to listen to other people's conversations :) And it would be really great if the fishes on the necklace could work in that way ... Love the necklace and for sure as usual the outfit! Happy weekend!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com