Sunday, October 6, 2013

The (Googly) Eye of the Owl and Other Odd Tales




Top: Urban Outfitters
Skirt: Bar III, Macy's
Shoes: Journeys
Bag: DSW
Leggings: Boscov's





Blouse: Alloy
Dress: JCPenney
Shoes: Betseyville, Macy's
Bag: Princess Vera, Kohl's
Belt: Wet Seal




Top: Candie's, Kohl's
Jeans: City Streets, JCPenney
Shoes: Charles Albert, Alloy
Bag: DSW
Jacket: Worthington, JCPenney





Dress: Xhilaration, Target
Shoes: Charles Albert, Alloy
Bag: Marshalls
Scarf: Marshalls


Fall brings to mind things that are folksy.  Like potlucks and hayrides and wildlife.  Why I included those first two I don't know, as there are few things less appealing than Crock-Pots of mystery stew and pieces of straw stuck in your pants, but then, whooooooo cares, as this is clearly all about the wildlife, by which of course I mean owls.  I used to slap owls with the same hipsterish nonsense label I reserved for summer beanies and ironic tee shirts.  But I've decided that they deserve better.  (And also, in my weaker moments, I'm not sure where I weigh in on the hipster vs. non-hipster debate anyway.)  Whimsically wise and fantastically feathered, owls lend a kind of highbrow playfulness wherever they land.  Sort of like that lollipop-loving owl in the Tootsie Pop commercials or Owl from Winnie the Pooh.  Come to think of it, both of them were kind of know-it-alls.  Maybe the hipsters were on to something, softening owls' stuck-up, sophisticated image to one that is more sympathetic and silly.  (I suppose that's a point for team hipster.)    So here's to harvests and new sitcoms, and fresh, bracing air and all those other things that come rustling in with the leaves of October.

Just watch where you sit in the hay truck.

No comments: