Sunday, January 18, 2015

Total Eclipse of the Art





 Bright Flight Necklace

Dress: Candie's, Kohl's
Blouse: Lily White, Target
Shoes: Guess, DSW
Bag: Bisou Bisou, JCPenney
Sunglasses: JCPenney




Top: Candie's, Kohl's
Cami: Boscov's
Skirt: Necessary Objects, Annie Sez
Shoes: Guess, DSW
Bag: Apt. 9, Kohl's
Belt: Wet Seal



 Pearls and Petals Necklace

Top: Merona, Target
Skirt: Xhilaration, Target
Shoes: Ami Clubwear
Bag: Call it Spring, JCPenney
Belt: Wet Seal



 Funky Folk Singer Necklace

Tee: Marshalls
Turtleneck: Mossimo, Target
Jeans: City Streets, JCPenney
Shoes: Alloy
Bag: Delia's
Scarf: Mossimo, Target




(Yep, that's one of my wedding table numbers.  Before the big day every little thing has to be perfect, but once it's over, you're stuck with a spare room full of stuff.  When you look at it that way, it seems sad not to tear it apart to make barrettes.)

 Romantic Rose Barrettes

Sweatshirt: XOXO, Macy's
Tee: Mudd, Kohl's
Skirt: Macy's
Shoes: Ami Clubwear
Bag: Journeys
Scarf: Gifted



 Dark Red Gumball Necklace

Top: Macy's
Skirt: I Heart Ronson, JCPenney
Shoes: Miss Bisou, JCPenney
Bag: Nine West, Boscov's
Scarf: Marshalls


This first picture looks kind of like a moon, doesn't it?  In reality, it's just the very humdrum light in my hallway. Lately, I've been snapping shots of it in an effort to trick my camera into flashing. My new camera, that is (my old one died on Christmas Eve just as I was zooming in on the tree). Remember all those months ago when I was yammering on about my efforts to take better pictures? It turns out that I didn't need to be fiddling with natural light or Google backgrounds at all -- all I needed was a new piece of equipment (a statement, I realize, that so succinctly sums up most of life's problems). Temperamental flash notwithstanding, I love the results.

Speaking of celestial stuff, I just finished reading Shopaholic to the Stars, the seventh installment in Sophie Kinsella's beloved Shopaholic series. I don't usually take pictures of book covers anymore, but this one was so strikingly Tote Trove-rific with its bold combo of pink and yellow that I broke my resolve. Anyway, Shopaholic to the Stars is just as riveting as you would expect. Unstoppable shopper Rebecca Brandon is transplanted from her native London to LA when her husband lands a gig representing a huge Hollywood star. Never one to miss an opportunity, Becky pulls out all the stops to ingratiate herself as a celebrity stylist, an adventure that begins when she discovers an A-lister -- horror of horrors -- shoplifting gym socks. Hilarity ensues, with Bex's best friend Suze, her suddenly spacey father, her old nemesis Alicia, and her regally chilly mother-in-law joining the fray. Yet their dramas fade into the background as Becky becomes absorbed by the celebrity world of paparazzi, red carpets, and -- but of course -- vintage boutiques. Through her signature grace and grit (okay, Lucille Ball-like hijinks and groveling), she manages to gain the confidence of more than one celebrity only to find that they are not the macrobiotic and social network-abstaining paragons she's she's met in magazines, but rather nacho-binging TMZ addicts who manipulate the media's every move. I know what you're thinking. What?! Celebrities who aren't what they seem?! But Kinsella avoids what could be a cliché, traversing old territory with all the novelty and wit of someone describing never-before-touched ground. Her humor ranges from the screwball to the satirical, and her heroine is so charming that you can't help but root for her even when you know she's wrong. And she's wrong a lot, as documented by the well-intentioned but nonetheless annoying commentary of her feet-firmly-on-the-ground husband. Because the thing is, Becky's well-intentioned, too. However ill-advised, morally questionable, and naïve, her tireless pursuit of her dream is as inspiring as it is entertaining. I suppose this has always been true of Becky's exploits, but it wasn't until I read this book that I realized that Becky isn't so much the cool girl in school as she is that somewhere-in-the-middle girl who's this-close to achieving cool status herself if only she plays the game a little bit harder to get in the cool girls' good graces. In the end, she realizes that she's got what it takes, but that she doesn't want "it" anymore. It's a classic story, the central conflict in everything from middle school chick lit to grown-up courtroom dramas. It's such stories, and such characters, that make us want to read fiction. Not that Rebecca Brandon is Atticus Finch. I mean, she gets thrown off of movie sets and buys whole wardrobes for people she's never met. But in a way I think that makes her better.  She's fallible, yet even at her most scheming, refreshingly innocent.  Best of all, she never apologizes for what many may deem to be a frivolous lifestyle, instead celebrating it with the kind of gusto that must have been in the mind of the person who came up with the phrase "owning it."

Owning it.  Ha.  I like to think Becky would like that.

2 comments:

Jewel Divas Style said...

Great outfits and jewels as usual Tote.

Have never read the shopaholic series but the cover does look great.

OurWanderingAdventures said...

LOVE those Candies pieces and that TARGET Skirt! Now I must get this book because it sounds great! I think I only made it 4-5 books into the series!