Sunday, October 23, 2016

Ladies in Waiting: 27 Tresses


Yep, they're multiplying!  There are 27 of them this week, and they're waiting for something already -- and it's not James Marsden as Prince Charming in journalist's clothing.  No, they're waiting for eyes -- or, more accurately, sunglasses, which I chose on account of them being more mysterious than poorly cut pupils (for even I have my limits with felt).


Subconsciously, I think that my faces may have been inspired by Iris.  Ah, yes, Iris Apfel, that marvelously mod nonagenarian lighting up INC ads beneath the sassily scrawled, "How many 95-year-old cover girls do you know?"at your nearest Macy's.  Tiny and birdlike, she rocks bold patterns and piles of costume jewelry that only serve to enhance her frail frame.  Best of all, her Macy's merch is distinguished by a tag in her cartoon likeness, her signature glasses, red lips, and huge gumball necklace ratcheting up her 1960s appeal.  Needless to say, I was over the moon when I found this cream and maroon hinge-style bangle, which originally retailed for $34.50, on the $7.99 table at Macy's One Day Sale.  I promptly marched it to the register, where I cashed in my Plenti points to bring the total down to a mere $5.15.  The only fly in the ointment of my afternoon was when the sales clerk stuck one of those infernal return stickers on Iris's forehead!  I'd been even more excited about the tag than the bracelet and was planning to make a pendant out of it.  Thankfully, the husband applied a bit of Goo Gone (or some equivalent), restoring Iris to her gorgeous glory.  Stay tuned for her Tote Trove debut!

Anyway, to compensate for my blind-as-a-bat hatted beauties, I made a quick bit of something that can see . . . well, as far as the eye.



 Hello Dolly Necklace

Top: Macy's
Skirt: Hollister, Marshalls
Shoes: Not Rated, DSW
Bag: Old Navy
Belt: Apt. 9, Kohl's
Sunglasses: JCPenney

The smiling little wooden beads in this Hello Dolly Necklace are actually doll heads, the type, I imagine, that crafters of another kind use to anchor Christmas ornaments and crocheted dresses.  Still, to me they're no frills and folksy, speaking of simpler times, of prize box treasures and humanized corn husks (or rather, cornhusk dolls, which don't sound as wonderfully weird -- or alliterative).  They don't even need makeup (makeup in the craft world being glue), unlike my highfalutin, high maintenance divas impatiently awaiting their custom eyewear.

Nevertheless, Hello Dolly does require a little attention.  For example, before wearing, it's important to turn her heads just so so that her smiles face forward.  Otherwise, she'll turn on you, keeping watch through the eyes in the backs of her heads.

That got creepy fast.  Quick, cue the Jack Johnson.

1 comment:

Jewel Divas Style said...

Awesome beads, I love unusual ones. As for that bracelet, I have some of those from the 80s.