Sunday, April 22, 2018

Peach Pit Bit: Tassels and Feathers and Pompoms, Oh My



Sherbet Shenanigans Earrings

Hoodie: Macy's
Skirt: So, Kohl's
Boots: 2 Lips Too, JCPenney
Bag: Betsey Johnson, Boscov's




Top: Wet Seal
Shorts: Merona, Target
Bag: DSW, embellished by The Tote Trove
Shoes: First Love by Penny Loves Kenny, JCPenney
Scarf: A.C. Moore
Sunglasses: The Tote Trove




Top: Zulily
Shorts: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's
Flip flops: Sea Star, Brigantine
Bag: Nordstrom
Sunglasses: Brigantine beach shop


I was going to call this post Coach Says Three Cheers for Coachella.  But Coachella was last weekend.  And also, I don't like that title.  So I went with this one instead.  Even though this post has nothing to do with 90210 except for two tops in the same shade as the show's namesake hangout, and tassels and feathers and pompoms, oh my sounds like the name of a southwestern strip club.  

Still, such boho accouterments make me think of Coachella, and Coachella makes me think of that cotton commercial where the woman in white takes off her big, floppy hat and dives down into the mud.  I'm all for taking chances.  But I can't help but think that this supposedly liberating act of rebellion creates more problems than it solves.  (And no, this has nothing to do with my distaste for cotton and my unapologetic allegiance to its nemesis, polyester.)  As in, where is she going to hose herself down afterward?  Certainly not in a yurt or port-a-potty!  Also, you know that that mud isn't coming out no matter how much fun Big Cotton wants her to have.  So she'll end up dirty and sad and most likely alone after her still-squeaky-clean girl squad ditches her for a pack of bun-wearing dudes who pointed and laughed as they watched the whole thing (you saw their faces; you know it's happening).  This is assuming, of course, that she didn't break anything and launch a lawsuit, the best outcome of which can be only a hemp sack full of beads and patchouli.  

Whew.  I don't know where that story came from.  I've never been to Coachella and don't ever plan to be, and the only yarn I know is the rainbow-colored kind in this Pom Flings Necklace.  Would you believe that the pompom started life as a giftwrap doodad?  Or that the pendant and charms in the Geometric Electric Necklace and Jagged Little Thrill Earrings were meant to remain -- horror of horrors -- unadorned?  Then there are the "jewels" in the Feather Duster Earrings and Seeking Sedona Necklace.  Some, I'm sure, would say that they would've been simply elegant on their own, but to me, plain Jane stones without the one-two fruit punch of kitsch and neon are like bread without butter.  

Oh, festival flare, you haven't a care, so fun to make, so easy to wear . . . so long as you stay away from the mud pit.  

Don't be like the floppy hat lady.  Always pick polyester.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

I love your festive, colorful outfits - especially the first one with the floral print!!! Hooray for pompoms, to boot! The sherbet earrings are too cute for words! I love the accessories you create; they're always so cute and quirky. Your Coachella story you came up with had me laughing! I love how you took it and ran with it...your imagination cracks me up!

Dressed With Soul said...

I have to admit it is definitely not on my wishlist to attend Coachella :) But the pieces you share here are deserving to be on each wishlist as they are beautiful and cool! Enjoy your weekend!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Jewel Divas Style said...

a mushroom/toadstool bag, whatever will they think of next?