Sunday, July 8, 2018

Romancing the Tone: A Love Affair with Shoes


Top: Material Girl, Macy's
Skirt (a dress!): Macy's
Boots: Union Bay, Kohl's
Bag: Worthington, JCPenney

When you're feeling less than thrilled with life, read a romance novel.  Fun and frothy, they are the reading woman's rom coms, complete with meet-cutes, beautiful people, and predictably happy endings.  On the flip side, if you're on top of the world, then these confections can seem kind of hollow.  But they've got me through a hard time or two, and sometimes I even learn something.

Case in point, last winter I was putting away a pair of UNIONBAY boots I'd scored for 70% off at the after Christmas sale at Kohl's and noticed that the box had the Seattle skyline on it in the lower left-hand corner.  (I could tell because of the Space Needle.)  


And I thought, huh, I guess Union Bay is a real place, and that it's in Seattle.  Then I remembered that the romance author I'd been reading sets a lot of her books in Seattle, and that she references Union Bay.  And I was like, mind blown.

Who says you can't add a wrinkle to the old brain from hanging with happily ever after?  And also, from bargain basement shoe shopping?

In keeping with the, ahem, heart of the matter, I unearthed this bubble pendant that I embellished last Valentine's Day.


Unlike the other pendants that came in the Target Dollar Spot four-pack, it was gray to their more traditionally cheerful reds and pinks.  But to me, that made it even more appealing, the perfect canvas for a neon rainbowed, 1980s-inspired design.  Still, it was kind of subtle all on its own (and you know I don't do subtle), so I paired it with my oldy but goody Rubik's Cube-esque squares-within-a-square pendant for the purposes of this post.


Both necklaces now dangle as decor in my craft room, which I dare say is almost finished after months of poking and prodding.  And shopping.  More on that (relatively) soon.   

That said, sometimes sunshine is only a creative project or department store or book store (or, yes, Amazon.com) away.

Lovers' tales and footwear sales: kind of brings a whole new meaning to kinky boots.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

I love your necklaces!!! The bubble pendant reminds me of a necklace I had as a kid. I still have it, although the water in it has since dried up. It has Ariel from the Little Mermaid floating around in it, along with little mini starfish and glitter. It was in a bubble pendant shaped as a seashell.

I'm sure your craft room is divine! I like how you combined the top with the skirt in your outfit (fun way to create a totally new ensemble!). Cute boots, and I'm glad to hear that romance novels can give you a boost through hard times when needed! It's nice when books can do that. :)

Dressed With Soul said...

Another wonderful necklaces! And what you thought about the shoe box makes sense to me :) Cool shoes by the way and thanks for your tips when what to read :) Happy weekend!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Jewel Divas Style said...

Gotta love a pair of new shoes and I'm still trying to find a pair of silver ankle boots for myself. Love the necklaces too.