Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year: Black Sky Affair, Do Me a Solid



Sweater: Derek Heart, JCPenney
Skirt: Decree, JCPenney
Bag: Candie's, Kohl's
Shoes: Chase & Chloe, Zulily
Orange bangle: Mixit, JCPenney
Yellow bangles: B Fabulous
Mint bangle: Decree, JCPenney
Barrette: The Tote Trove
Blue heart ring: Delia's
Cupcake ring: A Self Portrait, Etsy

I don't drive at night.  It's not that I can't or even that anything awful happens if I do.  I just prefer to be on the road when the sun is shining.  It wasn't always this way.  In my twenties, I'd drive from Brigantine back home at all sorts of unlit hours after hanging with the husband (then boyfriend) without a thought.  Of course, before that I used to get on I-95, another fear-inducing activity, to see a guy I briefly dated who lived in North Jersey.  So maybe I was never a gutsy driver, just someone willing to put the pedal to the metal for love.  Anyway, one night about ten years ago, after the husband and I had moved in together, I went to my parents' house for dinner.  I was driving back to Brigantine and, as usual, got on the Atlantic City Expressway.  But I went out the in instead of the out.  I know, I know -- pretty awful.  Luckily, there was no one else around, and I was able to make a quick K-turn and be on my way.  But the experience shook me, and I decided not to drive at night anymore.  Between then and now, I've broken that rule a handful of times, sometimes with white-knuckled results.  The other night I found myself in a (potentially) similar situation.  I was leaving my parents' house just as darkness was beginning to fall.  The fact that it was still somewhat light out was helpful; it gave me the chance to get on the road and ease into driving before the sky turned completely black.  But even once that happened, I still felt relaxed, singing along to the radio and in control as the miles melted.  And I thought, maybe this should be my New Year's resolution, to drive at night, at least once in a while, when I know where I'm going and am wide awake and not at risk of being distracted by billboards.  Then again, I don't really believe in resolutions.  And even if I did, then I would rather go with something like buy duplicates of all the beauty products I use daily and stash them in my glove compartment (which isn't as much of a cop-out as it sounds; on Christmas Eve I made the husband turn around on the way to my parents' house because I'd left my Cherries in the Snow lipstick in another purse.)  Still, I'm not going to go all dramatic and "resolve" to do anything.  I'll just be more open-minded about venturing out after the sun's said goodnight.  And, of course, about stocking up on lipstick.

That said, this week I focused on something else dark and dangerous -- or at least, something that seems that way but most certainly isn't.  I'm talking about this Black Cutie Necklace (no horse jokes, please.  Unless they're about bronies).  I don't know about you, but sometimes, in some outfits, I find myself looking for a solid-colored necklace.  But Tote Trove Lady, you may be thinking, that doesn't make any sense.  You're all about being a crayon box full of color!  (Because in my imagination, you too have a thing for alliteration and cutesy metaphors.)  And to that I'd say, well obvi.  But when you love color as much as I do, then you have lots of colorful tops and dresses, and every so often, instead of adding even more bands to the rainbow, what you really want is a nice, monochromatic piece to anchor it all and make it look even brighter.  And more often than not, the shade for the job is good old-fashioned black.  So that's why I made Black Cutie.  What she lacks in color she more than makes up for in chunky statement beads -- bows, roses, and a heart, a treacly trifecta if ever there was one.  I'm really happy with how it (she?) turned out.  Especially how its (her?) inkiness pops against the sweater's bright stripes, as sharp and unforgiving as a goth chick tearing into a wall of Care Bears. 

The next time I'm night driving, I'll channel that dark goddess's chutzpah.  Minus the coffin purse and Happy Bear carnage.

So.  Whether you drive, take the train, or hoof it, safe travels.  And happy New Year.

3 comments:

sonia // daring coco said...

Oooh how scary. In LA I made a wrong turn and ended up on the wrong side of the road (I'm Australian so we drive on the opposite anyway). Luckily there was a red light in both directions but unbelievably I had to wait for another vehicle to let me back onto the right side of the road. This was at nighttime too, just coming off the highway. I ended back on the highway because of that mistake but that really shook me to my core. I don't like driving at night, especially in places or countries!

Sxx
daringcoco.com

Dressed With Soul said...

I think it is a good resolution that you'll drive this year at night - at least when you know the way and it is save. But it is totally understandable that after that experience 10 years ago you normally don't drive at night. I was so relieved to read that a K turn was possible.
About your necklace: so beautiful! And the rest of your look, too <3
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Samantha said...

I absolutely love the Black Beauty necklace!!! I saw it in your shop the other day and it really stood out to me. You're right that it pops perfectly with the bright striped top! I understand the fear of driving at night; it can be scary and dangerous, as you know with the story you shared. Glad it wasn't any worse and that you made it out okay! Kudos to you for taking the challenge to drive at night again. (I laughed at "as sharp and unforgiving as a goth chick tearing into a wall of Care Bears"...the visual was BRILLIANT!)