Friday, July 17, 2020

From the Oregon Trail to a True Fairy Tale: Sweet Stuff for Spilling the Tea


May Berry Charm Necklace

Dress: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's
Shoes: Penny Loves Kenny, DSW
Bag: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's
Sunglasses: Wild Fable, Target


Whimsical Watermelon Necklace

Top: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's
Skirt: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's
Shoes: Shoe Carnival
Bag: Glamour Damaged, Etsy
Belt: Belt is Cool, Amazon
Sunglasses: Wild Fable, Target
Bangles: B Fabulous
Cherry charm: Carole, JCPenney
Pompom charm: A.C. Moore
Plate barrette: The Tote Trove
Bow barrette: Carole, JCPenney


Blossom Bunch and Rambling Rose Barrette Brooches

Dress: ELLE, Kohl's
Shoes: Ami Clubwear
Bag: Macy's Backstage
Belt: Belt is Cool, Amazon
Sunglasses: Wild Fable, Target

When this floral, prairie-style, LC Lauren Conrad dress arrived from Kohl's, I was as excited as a pioneer saddling up on a Saturday to stock up on sarsaparilla at the general store.  Still, something was missing, and when I noticed the ladders climbing the dress's bodice and hem, I knew what it was.  Ribbon!  Luckily, I just happened to have roll upon roll of it in the perfect shade of scarlet satin.  Over the course of several days (it was a tedious task), I worked to weave it through the ladders like old-timey licorice (stay alive, general store simile).



Embellishing this dress felt very homey and reminded me of that scene in Cinderella where Gus and Jack remake Cinderella's mother's old dress into a beautiful pink and blue confection.  I always thought that dress had much more personality than the frosty frock that her fairy godmother bibbidi-bobbidi-booed.

Still, it wasn't without a little fairy dust -- or perhaps I should say tea leaves -- that I poofed up this post.  Yep, I started this journey on the Oregon Trail, then slid down a rainbow into Disneyland, and am now hosting a one-woman tea party.  And why not?  Tea is a timeless and restorative elixir designed to cure everything from torn gowns to broken hearts and all the evil stepsisters in between.  It's as cozy as it is civilized and has inspired many a cute expression: high tea, spot of tea, and tea for two to name a few, as well as "I'm a Little Teapot."  If it were an animal, then it would be a cat.  As in tea is to tabby as coffee is to corgi.  Oh, analogies!  I've abandoned my finger sandwiches only to flail in the viscous veggie soup that is the SATs.  I'd rather take my chances in the covered wagon.

Standardized tests notwithstanding, I've put together the kind of girly getups, right down to the fruit and flower accessories, that one can wear where they pour the Earl Gray.  Not, mind you, that they're for second bananas or shrinking violets.  I had so much fun making these necklaces and barrette brooches, and I made them to stand out.  I like to think of them as pretty and proper but laced with lemon zinger.  A little salt and citrus never hurt anyone.  Especially sailors.  Which are the opposite of pretty and proper, but then, where there's a will, seamen find a way.

May Berry Charm Necklace

Blossom Bunch Barrette Brooch

Whimsical Watermelon Necklace

Rambling Rose Barrette Brooch

And so our voyage concludes, predictably or not, on a pirate ship.  Because similes and analogies and metaphors are like Jell-O: there's always room for more.

Speaking of the wiggly one, make mine orange to stave off the scurvy.  

2 comments:

Samantha said...

What an amazing job you did adding the ribbon to the dress!! It's so eye-catching amidst the creme color and subtle florals. Love the prairie-style sleeves of the second outfit, as well! The last outfit looks soooo amazing with those brooch barrettes along the top - wow!!! ❤️ I love the cute May Berry Charm necklace and especially the Whimsical Watermelon Necklace (definitely one of my favorite necklaces you've made so far!) I agree that Cinderella's pink and blue dress had more personality - I preferred that one! On a last note, you have the coolest teapots I have EVER seen!

Jewel Divas Style said...

Awesome idea with the dress. Sometimes you just need to do up an item that needs a bit of pizzazz.

And those teapots...so cute.