Sunday, October 3, 2021

Storybook Hook: Styling Cinderella

Pink top: Candie's, Kohl's; Navy top: Wet Seal; Wall art: Hobby Lobby; Hooks: Kohl's; Cacti: Five Below

Every story needs a hook.  Unless, of course, the hook is Captain Hook because Peter Pan's a bit of a downer.  Then again, negging on a Disney classic is no way to win friends and influence people.  Or promote jewelry.  

So it's a good thing I have these heart hooks.  They'll hang in my craft room and be a nice home for my new necklaces.  As for the earrings, they're hooks unto themselves -- minus the dismemberment.  

Annie Anchor Earrings

Fruit Flight Necklace

Claire Bear Necklace

Twee Sea Earrings

One fairy tale where I can hang my hat is the Amazon original Cinderella starring Camila Cabello.  A joyfully modern version of the classic, it reimagines the kingdom as a culturally diverse, albeit still economically disparate, universe in which its title heroine is an aspiring fashion designer with moxie and a sense of humor to match.  This Cinderella -- or, rather, Ella -- rejects the idea that peasants -- and women -- should know their place, eventually inspiring those around her to open their minds.  Even her evil stepmother (Idina Menzel), who utters the loathsome line "Every girl is worth more when she smiles," momentarily melts her ice queen armor to reveal her humanity.  But this retelling isn't just about breaking the glass ceiling -- or should I say slipper? Amazon's Cinderella is also just plain fun, exploding with exuberant musical numbers including a tribute to the prince (Nicholas Galitzine) featuring Salt-N-Pepa's "Whatta Man," and costumes so colorful that they eclipse even the digitally remastered incarnation of the 1950 cartoon.  Indeed, Billy Porter, who plays Cinderella's Fabulous Godmother, is miles more stylish than that old biddy in the blue poncho.               

Another thing I like about this version is that Cinderella and the prince really connect instead of meeting for a single, silent dance.  Oh sure, their romance is still speedy (there's only so much bonding that can go on in two hours), but even Ella pokes fun at that.  Most importantly, they talk to each other like people instead of caricatures and discover that they're more alike than different.  

And when it comes to love, that's what every woman -- princess or peasant --wants.  

No wonder Captain Hook was single.

7 comments:

Samantha said...

What a pretty collage of items!! I seriously adore those heart hooks! I love that the hearts are pastel. Your new jewelry is so cool-looking and unique; the contrast of the charms against the orange slices is awesome! The gummy bears are adorable and so are the unicorn earrings. Lastly, I heard of the new Cinderella version but didn't know anything about it. It's awesome that Billy Porter is the fairy godmother!!! And you can't beat a real connection between the prince and Cinderella. :)

ellie said...

I've been meaning to watch this one. I have seen a music video or two of it and loved the music. So great there is a new modern version of this classic.

Oh, some lovely earrings too! & necklaces too. Thanks so much for the review. Hope your October is off to a great start.

I have been working on a couple of berets but haven't finished them yet.
This must be the story of my life because I got a lot of things going.

While I was in someone's playroom just yesterday I noticed on of the sock creatures I had given him when he was a baby. Actually, it was a cozy toes sock over a gray sock and there was just a simple face showing. It looked as if it had a mohawk. I had forgotten about that.

Thanks again, for the review. All the best to your art!

Better Left Unsaid said...

Oh, I want to see this musical even more now. Thanks for the Monday post.

Such unique and fun earrings! You are so productive.

Well, I am going to try to Update Better Left Unsaid..twice a week. I will have to see if it goes OK or not.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Always impressive to see what you come up with from your shop! Some exciting pieces! Such a wonderful review too. Now I have to check it out on PRIME! Looks like quite a success on so many levels.

Well, I did check out the Elsa wig I made last year. It looks like it needs more yarn. Hopefully, there is still time to fix it. Or I could start from scratch and make a pink wig for someone's birthday. But then again, I might not do anything. Sometimes, its just best to write. Oh, if there was just more time during the day. Most of the weekend I did try to write more, but then I found myself wanting to make new headers too. I know you are so much more organized than me.

Happy October!

Ivy's Closet said...

Such a joy to read your review! Awesome! This is definitely a great month to watch this movie.

So creative! Such great work!

Hope you are having a great October. Do you decorate for Halloween? Are you one of those that celebrate Halloween for 31 Days? It's amazing to see what people buy just to decorate for this month. I'm just in it for the treats, you know.

Thanks for the delightful Monday post!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Ok you have totally got me interested in Watching Cinderella- Prime, Netflix, or ??

Jewel Divas Style said...

I'll be giving this movie a hard pass. Some of the people in it rub me the wrong way.