Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Marina Mermaid

Top: XOXO, Macy's; Skirt: Marshalls; Shoes: Chase & Chloe, Zulily; Bag: Zulily; Light pink bangle: Say What, Zulily; Striped bangle: Mixit, JCPenney; Chartreuse bracelet: Amrita Singh, Zulily

November or not, today I noticed some renegade rhododendrons blooming way past their May sell-by date:    

Moreover, last night I made this very summery Marina Mermaid Necklace:


And that got me thinking.  About Memorial Day and sunny beach days and if Marina Mermaid is speaking through me.  Let's say that she is and that this is her story:

Marina Mermaid was named after a character on her mother's favorite soap opera.  Not that Mom was fond of that first, if fictional, Marina.  No, quite the contrary.  Marina could still hear her mother calling the girl a shameless hussy unworthy of so fine a moniker.  In that day's episode, Marina had been sneaking out her bedroom window to meet Montana, a boy from the wrong side of the tracks with whom she was irresistibly smitten.  Never mind that Marina wasn't even a mermaid (her mother preferred her soaps human; it made them easier to criticize).  No, that angelically aquatic name belonged to none other than her own angel fish, a mermaid so well behaved that she couldn't even inspire a squeaky clean family sitcom let alone a cheap daytime drama.  Which was why Marina felt so guilty now as she swam out to The Lovely Island (not to be confused with The Lonely Island; when her mom wasn't chained to her soaps, Marina managed to squeeze in some Andy Samberg ).  Her mother would accuse her of catting around, sneering that she was just like that ungrateful Jezebel Ariel.  She must never know that Ariel was Marina's hero.  Marina admired her passion and courage and the way she'd stood up to King Triton.  The Lovely Island may be just a patch of purple coral carpeting a deserted cave far from home.  Unlike Ariel's hideaway, it didn't even boast purloined treasures, artifacts of the life she wanted but feared she'd never have.  But it was hers.  The only thing in it was a mirror, which she would peer into once before covering with an old sail.  Then she'd spend the rest of her time dreaming, savoring the silence and the coral, trying to forget the hideous sea witch that had stared back at her through the glass.

Ugly is as ugly does.  Keep on keepin' on, Marina. 

9 comments:

ellie said...

LOL..oh if Andy is around..I'm there! Good one! I love the Mermaid necklace too! Beautiful center piece!

Thanks so much for my praise as the collage queen...=) You always have some amazing color here and necklaces too! Thanks for your comments. However, some people you just can't please.

Actually, I remember hearing something of a story about the boy who stole the cookies at the PTA meeting from my grandmother, and then I read a similar story from a Shirley Jackson anthology. But I always find it interesting "first impressions"..and perhaps Koda has made an impression too. But it's been fun starting up all sorts of soap drama in November. I will admit I was raised on Days of Our Lives, yet personally, I liked the writing from New York based soaps best.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, what a great Wednesday post. Oh, those trying times for mermaids. I like how you ended this too. You are a great storyteller.

Well..for Tori, the baby and Dylan..it's been interesting in this little mystery. Not your typical mystery. At the moment, this is bothering Caitlin more than anyone. Of course, she sees everything as in "It could have been me" mode. And I needed to bring up Dylan's past life when he wasn't a guy. I have been thinking about this character for quite a while so I hope to write more about her too. However, I'm not sure many will be silent about that....but oh well...

Thanks so much for reading and your comments and I hope this mermaid necklace is a hot item!

Ivy's Closet said...

Such a cool title! & such an interesting character. Hope you have a great November of inspiration..with your designing and a whole lot more. Oh, it's interesting how plants can be. Our old tree is changing colors just in parts. Maybe it's all the squirrels and possibly raccoons inside it that are doing this, but I am sure they would blame it on humans..if they thought about it. Yeah, I'm dreaming too..=).

Thank you for all your comments. I am sure I might have mentioned it..as I came to a close with the LockDown diary of Ambs and Maxie..I decided to use those characters' names for a new story..this time in the states. Naturally, I look back and think..Girl..you got too much going on. On top of that, a friend wants to celebrate her birthday here because our house is bigger..lets say someone wants nothing to do with it. We shall see how November pans out. Lets say we are the great procrastinators when it comes to housecleaning.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Quite an interesting tale about Marina. I'm busy watching reruns of The Waltons- which is my favorite soothing old show. I love to see their relationships, and how they solve their problems. It alls seems so wise.Your necklace creation is summery and beach-y. It's 45 degrees this morning, so I'm saying fall is here but looking at the summery looking jewelry does make me feel good.

Kathy Leonia said...

so lovely this outfit is;D

Samantha said...

Your outfit (and necklace!!!) is super mermaid chic! The top lining the blue skirt reminds me of shiny fins (perfect for a mermaid!) And, of course, the mermaid clutch is the cherry on top. The flowers you took a photo of are beautifully in bloom! I truly love the stunning mermaid cameo with her sitting on the moon. And your color combinations adorning it are unbeatable! Lastly, the story of Marina Mermaid was a fun little read: "ungrateful Jezebel Ariel" - LOL!!! The story definitely gives depth and a backstory to your necklace. 💜

Królowa Karo said...

A real holiday necklace ...

Lovely said...

The mermaid necklace is fantastic!
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Jewel Divas Style said...

Damn! You've got a bag for all occasions and accessories.