Friday, April 12, 2024

Big City to Bigger Sky: A Heaping Slice of Humble Pie

Instagram is fun, but I don't think I'd enjoy it if it were my job.  Especially if I had to promote products I didn't believe in.  But that's the reality -- or perhaps I should say unreality -- for influencer Cat-never-Catherine-Cranwell in Melissa Ferguson's Famous for a Living.  And it ends up being a scandal with just such a bogus brand that ejects her from The Montana, her posh Manhattan apartment, to a tiny cabin in Montana the state.  Cat's beloved park ranger uncle has offered her a post as a social media maven.  All she has to do is raise the profile of an unpopular national park amid snakes, grizzlies, and a cast of kooky coworkers while riding out her notoriety.  And the toughest nut to crack proves to be brooding and brutally handsome Zaiah, a man who abhors social media.

You see where this is going, right?

I always enjoy a fish out of water story, especially when the fish in question is as un-outdoorsy as I am.  That's something I can relate to, even if I can't identify with said fish's willingness to wax poetic about itchy jumpsuits.  Also, I like that Cat learns and grows while holding on to what makes her her.  My only note is that I wish there was more about her and Zaiah.  Then again, maybe this is meant to be an albeit-light-hearted, I-am-woman-hear-me-roar-in-the-woods monologue as opposed to a romcom duet.

And now to post this (honest and unbiased) review on -- where else? -- Instagram. 😏

4 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, I really love the cover. Definitely a modern romance! I will note it. Great to see your review! 🧁💛🌈💙🩷❤️Thanks for your comments. Oh, that KC, perhaps this is his wake-up call. And maybe one for Rafe as well. Yes, and Em is blessed. However, I wanted to focus on her friends and Yuki and how they change during this new arrival, too. ❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈🌈💛💛💛💛🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁 We are having much warmer days now. Even Hot. Which means all sorts of troubles at the library. But we should be moving by the end of summer, hopefully.

Ivy's Closet said...

Sweet review. I haven't read anything from this author yet. It does look to be a fun read. Such a colorful bookcover. Oh, that Instagram! Of course, I am not much of an influencer. I really enjoyed your review. All the best to a sweet April. I am not very successful at getting a boxroom made. Maybe it's safer to just write.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, definitely a fish out of water! What a fun premise. Good to see your review. You certainly gave me a smile this morning! Meanwhile, I have to see if I want some relationships to go the distance or not. Maybe it's spring fever and I just want to mix it up. 🧁🧁🧁🧁🧁🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈 All the best with your wonderful creativity!

Samantha said...

I love the concept of the social media obsessed meets anti-social media characters!!! What a fun dichotomy for a story. Also, going from the big city to big sky Montana sounds like an exciting plot to dive into! Lastly, I love the book cover! 🌄💖