Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Bat Out of Spell: Happy Halloween Sans the Scary








Some may say that Halloween is nothing without blood and guts and body-snatching bad guys and those weird, made-for-school movies about inspecting your candy for poison and razors.  But to all that I merely say, "Boo!"  So, here's to the sweet side of the scariest night of the year with a cute-to-boot barrette battalion.  Cartoonish candy, amiable aliens, a bat, and a polka-dot pink pumpkin (not a pumpkin with chicken pox or acne or worse as one unnamed observer commented) tune out the tricks and turn up the treats as we near the witching hour this year.  After all, these are friendly aliens, much like the one (okay, the anthropomorphic UFO) in the classic Halloween children's book (and one of my personal favorites) Space Case.  


In Case, "The thing," as the alien/UFO is called, descends to Earth on Halloween to learn our ways -- and snag a Snickers or two.  The story is strange and mysterious and even wryly funny.  I particularly liked the bright, graphic cover and remember wishing that I could get it printed on a sweatshirt.  (It was the '80s, so this wasn't completely outside the realm of possibility.)  Anyway, when I think of Halloween stories, this is the one that comes to mind.  Sorry not sorry, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark.     

That said, I hope your Halloween was more marshmallow pumpkins than smashing pumpkins.  Which, now that I've said it, doesn't work on both levels because "Today" is a really great song.

Screw it; just enjoy those Snickers.   

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Loooooove the barrettes! Could they get any cuter?! I especially love the one with candy corn (I had a whole bag of it myself on Halloween...it wasn't a huge bag, it was small, to give myself some credit!) What a cute story book! I've never heard of it, but it looks/sounds super fun. I love your barrettes, they're seriously the coolest accessories ever! I need to buy another one.

And oh my goodness...you mentioned the Smashing Pumpkins!!! They're my other favorite band next to Ghost...I was binge-listening to the Smashing Pumpkins the last two days at work on Spotify. :) I hope you enjoyed your Halloween!