Monday, November 6, 2017

The Tortoise and the Hair: Slow and Steady Wins the Lace


Top: Mossimo, Target
Pink tunic: Miken, Marshalls
Skirt: Mossimo, Target
Shoes: Penny Loves Kenny, Zulily
Bag: Apt. 9, Kohl's
Belt: Hand-me-down
Bracelets: Cloud Nine
Rings: Delia's

Sparkly Circles Barrettes 


 Dazzling Dog Tag Earrings

When I was a kid, I was confused by tortoiseshell.  It didn't look anything like its namesake reptile, but more like a leopard or a puddle of Coke with raisins incongruously mixed in.  Still, I liked it.  It had a timeless, simple sort of glamour that made otherwise ordinary combs, sunglasses, and barrettes seem sophisticated.  So, when I saw these tortoiseshell circle barrettes, I was immediately inspired to put my own stamp on them in the form of Swarovski crystals.  Because accessories this delicate call for something more refined than mere rhinestones.  The result was part princess part disco diva, and I liked it so much that I kept going, hunting down other turtle trinkets that I could embellish.

Speaking of turtles, here's a shot of the official mascot of this post.  I lured him from his perch on my bookshelf with promises of fame and fortune (okay, insects), and once he got in front of the camera, he was hooked, hamming it up with with all of the gusto of our old friend Tammy (who is, by the way, residing comfortably in her new quarters.  But more on that later).   


That said, let's talk about this top.  I've shown it backwards because that's how I first put it on.  The "real" front is plain except for a little keyhole.  (Also, there's no pink.  That's another lace top.)  I blame Target, as this is the way they displayed it.  Then again, it seems like they've suffered enough, as they still have a rack full, reduced to half price.  That's when I nabbed mine, as gleeful as a gazelle tracking a fresh crop of grass shoots (hey, no one said success had to be bloody.)  I may not always know a blouse's front from its back, but I could bargain stalk in my sleep.  Anyhoo, turns out I like the ruffle in the front.  It has a kind of Victorian-lady-meets-Dolly-Parton feel with a 1970s twist when teamed with the tortoiseshell.  Plus, it makes a great frame for necklaces.  Mr. Turtle liked it, too; I know because he was nibbling it post-shoot.  I think he thought it was albino lettuce.

I guess shopping and life aren't all that different.  Slow and steady wins the lace.  At $9.99.  Unless you're supermarket sweeping your way through the express lane or something and set off a sensor.  Which, now that I say it, doesn't make any sense.

I think this one got away from me.

3 comments:

amely rose said...

Wow, the jewellries are so amazing and pretty.
Love how colorfull they are :)

take a look at my BLOG and also INSTAGRAM

Dressed With Soul said...

I agree, yes you exactly describe the right feel and as usual I love what you combined! Thanks for sharing the inspirations and enjoy your weekends!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Samantha said...

I looooove turtles so much! They're so cute; I used to have one when I was a kid. I kinda want one again!

I love the tortoiseshell print of your accessories (and your description of tortoiseshell is absolutely hilarious AND so accurate!) That lace top is gorgeous and what a bargain! It does have that Victorian yet 1970's look to it! I've been wanting a light pink lace top, and this is inspiring me to go find one. I love how you paired it with the jean skirt and heels!