Sunday, February 11, 2018

Bubble Toy Joy: My Punny Valentines


Dress: Demi Loon, Zulily
Jacket: Marshalls
Shoes: Betseyville, Macy's
Bag: Betseyville, ROSS Dress for Less



If you grew up in the '90s, or raised a girl in the '90s, or walked through a mall in the '90s, . . . then you know all about bubble pendants.  (Also, the Bubble Boy.  But that's something else from the '90s.)  They used to hang next to the chokers and Koosh balls in Claire's, New Kids on the Block in the background.  (To be fair, you could find more up-market options in Macy's, but no Koosh balls or New Kids, so.)  And they came in all shapes and colors, the neon-hued, elixir-like liquid making them look like magic potion.  I loved them and, always an avid collector, had more than a few next to the Bonnie Bell and Love's Baby Soft on my dresser.  So, when I saw a bag of plastic, heart-shaped versions in the Dollar Spot at Target, I said, you're coming home with me.  I'd picked up some Valentine's treat-themed buttons a while back and knew that they -- along with some rhinestones -- would be just the thing to light up these too-cute hearts.  They turned out just as kitsch-tastic as I'd hoped, all gumball-machine prize like, which was fitting, seeing as how they started out life as party favors.  I'm hanging onto them instead of listing them in my shop.  Partly because of my die-hard collecting ways.  Partly because I don't want to get into the whole liquid/fragile/hazardous thing at the post office.  And, finally, because I like to party.  

I used the rest of the decadent dessert cabs to make hairpins, which are available in my shop (mostly because I made myself some extras :).  I embellished them with Swarovski crystals instead of rhinestones, these being on the classier end of the kitsch commodity spectrum.  Because V-day is no time to cheese it up. 

Unless we're talking fondue.  In that case, bring on the Gouda.            

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Killer outfit!!! Love that fur-trimmed jacket! Oh my goodness; I forgot about bubble pendants! The moment I saw the picture, I was like, "Those look extremely familiar..." Thanks for the nostalgic trip back in time! The hairpins are adorable. :)

Dressed With Soul said...

Oh, I grew up in the '70 and '80 and therefore obviously it was different in my childhood :) Especially, as I grew up in the deepest Bavarian country whit no malls and shops there. But I love the memories you share here and now I see even bubbles everywhere! The hairpins you designed are wonderful!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Jewel Divas Style said...

love everything about this, but no, we didn't have bubble pendants themselves here in Aus, although we have had similar items over the years.