Sunday, September 13, 2020

Alternate Universe Curse: Palm Springs King and Kevin

Fancy Fish Necklace

Colorful Cameo Necklace

Dandy Deco Necklace


This weekend, I watched the Hulu original movie Palm Springs, which can be summed up as a weird, nihilistic, West Coast version of Groundhog Day.  It's about a jaded manchild named Niles (a symbolic name if ever there was one) (Andy Samberg) who gets stuck in some mysterious cave while attending a wedding in Palm Springs, and as a result lives that day over and over again.  While trying to hook up with maid of honor Sarah (Cristin Milioti), he accidentally sucks her into the vortex with him.  They relive the day together on repeat, having fun and making bad decisions because, hey, no consequences!  But then Sarah discovers something about the day that she can't live with, and she and Niles must decide whether to remain in the world where time stands still or work to find a way out.  

Now may be a good time to mention that I've always been confused by Palm Springs.  Because it's a desert with a watery word in its name.  Also, when I hear desert I think cacti, not palm trees.  But in a way, this incongruity only makes the oddness of the movie more fitting.  Point to you, Andy Samberg. 

Earlier this week, I watched another movie, Jeff, Who Lives at Home.  It's about another manchild (alert Pee-wee Herman; "manchild" is the word of the day, if not week), only this one is named Jeff (Jason Segal), and he lives in his mom's (Susan Sarandon's) basement instead of in an alternate universe.  Sweet, introspective, and a little naive, Jeff is convinced that everything happens for a reason and that the universe sends him -- and all of us -- messages.  (Ok, maybe he lives in his mom's basement and in an alternate universe).  So, when he gets a wrong number call for someone named Kevin, he does whatever it takes to follow all the people and things named Kevin that pop up in his path that day.  This means spending time with his jerk of a brother, Pat (Ed Helms), which results in a bizarre string of events that lead Jeff exactly to where he's meant to be.

If I'm talking about manchildren who learn something profound via supernatural means throughout the course of a single day, then what's up with these necklaces?  Not much, but as always, I'll use every tool in my arsenal to force some tenuous connections.  


First, the flamingos in this wall art remind me of palm trees, which remind me of Palm Springs (despite there being no flamingos and only armadillos there).  Secondly, the flamingo art hangs in my home, which is also where I made these necklaces (okay, embellished these necklaces, as I just added ribbon-strung beads to already-made vintage pendants).  And finally, home is where Jeff lives. 

I told you it'd be a stretch.  What isn't is that I liked that Jeff believed in something.  And that he was a fellow homebody. 

Which is my way of saying that everything in life -- and in necklaces -- is always connected.

5 comments:

Victòria | My thoughts on... said...

I would love to go to Palm Springs but yeah I think I would expect something different to what it is since it's name haha and I love the colours you used to do the jewlery :)

Samantha said...

Both of these movies sound really intriguing! Your new necklaces look fantastic: they look like part of a series, each uniquely different but similar chain/beads. The fish is super cool and the ultimate statement necklace! Good catch with the name Palm Springs: I actually hadn't realized the irony of its name. :) Lastly, I love the flamingos and your quote about how everything in life is always connected!

Dorey ♥ said...

love such a great jewelery!
sending hugs ! :*
http://dorey-doorey.blogspot.com

Dressed With Soul said...

Oh, what a plot! I have never been to Palms Springs and I have to admit I even didn't think about it :) Love the necklaces!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Jewel Divas Style said...

Ah, those fish necklaces have been around forever.

And I think of palm trees when I think of Palm Springs. Although you'd also think of springs, but I'm not sure if they have any.

Not sure if any of my comments have come through, blogger/Google's not letting me in with my email and password so had to do it this way.