Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Tropical Getaway Car, You're a Star. And a Barb. But Not the Kind on a Wire.

What happens when two mild-mannered, middle-aged besties from the Midwest go on vacay to Florida?  Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar, that's what.  Deserted by their men (Barb's by death, Star's by divorce) as well as their mutual employer Jennifer Convertibles, all Barb (Annie Mumolo) and Star (Kristen Wiig) have is each other.  Well, each other and their not book but talk club, which includes a militant Vanessa Bayer and a giddy Fortune Feimster.  From their frumpy 'dos to their Alfred Dunner resort wear, Barb and Star are the Lucy and Ethel of tourists (or, rather, the Ethel and Lucy, for it's Wiig's Star who reigns as the cruise director of this caper), scamming their way into a luxury hotel, buying every seashell tchotchke in sight, and getting mixed up in criminal intrigue.  But the gal pals' bond is tested when they both fall for fellow vacationer Edgar (Jamie Dornan, a.k.a. Christian Grey), a seemingly sensitive hunk with something to hide.

Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar is wonderfully weird and everything you'd expect from writing partner powerhouses Wiig and Mumolo.  There's also a grandmas gone wild element.  Let's just say that Mr. Grey fits right in.  

As do the duo's culottes, which feature prominently in the plot, proving that the right piece of clothing can sometimes save your life.

Speaking of island idyll fashion (forget that Florida's a peninsula), these Frannie Fruit Earrings fit the seagull's bill.  With an old lady name and a colorful game, they could be the crowning touch for a blue-haired sunseeker or for a happy-hour-any-hour spring breaker.  Making them meant that I'm getting to the end of the fruit charms I bought last summer, which is as bittersweet as a near-rotten kiwi.

Kind of like the end of that other (New Zealand!) buddy comedy, Flight of the Conchords.

6 comments:

ellie said...

"As do the duo's culottes, which feature prominently in the plot, proving that the right piece of clothing can sometimes save your life." Oh it has to be my kind of movie. Culottes are an asset while teaching small children. Something I do know. My co-worker was telling me about it. He said I'd love it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. What a fun summer escape!

Oh..Simon & Declan..it is funny with some of the comments I get "Strange relationship". Maybe their "honeymoon" phase isn't quite over, but there is a lot for them to notice about each other than the physical part. Declan has that "Salesman" like attitude and I have to wonder if he's really got it all together as he seems.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Lov'n those earrings! I so want to see this movie. I loved your review. So fun! I hope you are having a good week.

And thanks for getting that bit about Roman in the Spike Lee tale...=) Perhaps, I did push it along to get the story going..but of course Roman is curious about lots of things too.

I can only imagine you and that felt. Only have one package of it..and it feels like it's expanding. I had used a little bit of it for my sock dolls. Oh, I'm the worst seamstress you'd ever want to meet..and I am still wearing the primitive crossover apron I made from a shirt that didn't like. I keep thinking..those poor folks in France had to put everything to use no matter what back in the guillotine days..so why can't I.

Ivy's Closet said...

Such a fun and wonderful review. You are so cool at this!

I wish I was better at making sweet things, but then again maybe it's better that I'm not.

on Slater..deep down, he's one of those guys (or he was) would do whatever his 'woman' would tell him to do. But to be left behind by his middle school sweetheart he's had to reinvent himself. He is an interesting character to write about.

LOCKDOQN: Oh, I used to love so many British shows. I was a fan of Hollyoaks which I guess is a glorified "gay" show now, but a few of those actors went on to American shows. I loved the first season of SKINS too. But they are so gritty and practically disturbing. I didn't want Lockdown to be that caliber. And I guess I wrote just the opposite of what the other roleplayer wanted. But for the most part most of stories are from the midwest with a little influence of 'indigenous' folks, too.

Kathy Leonia said...

so lovely and colorful:)

Samantha said...

I saw a trailer for this movie and thought it looked totally funny!! And your earrings totally fit the vibe. Something about fruit is just so fun and fashionable, besides for eating! I love how you described the two leading ladies as "the Lucy and Ethel of tourists" and adding "a seemingly sensitive hunk with something to hide" to the mix definitely sounds like a fun film to watch!

Jewel Divas Style said...

I think I vaguely remember seeing the trailer for it on tv, but we get things later than the US, so I'll keep and eye out for it. Having said that, I'm still discovering books that were published years ago and always get around to seeing movies years after I first see the trailer and think "oohh, that looks good".