Monday, July 26, 2021

Vacation, All I Ever Hunted: Friends Without Benefits

When I first read about Emily Henry's People We Meet on Vacation on Ivy's Closet, I knew it was my kind of novel.  Ivy's Closet, by the way, is a fun and creative blog featuring original fiction, book and movie reviews, music playlists, and more.  If you enjoy pop culture and engaging writing (and who doesn't?), then I highly recommend it, along with its sister blogs Ellie and Caitlin & Megan.  So, People We Meet on Vacation.  I was instantly into it because it's about the kind of romance that everyone wants: the kind that begins as friendship.  Alex and Poppy have enough inside jokes to fill a book, accept each other's flaws (an acceptance, that is, accompanied by good-natured ribbing), and are protective of each other.  After meeting at the University of Chicago, they go on a summer vacation every year.  Henry describes these trips as flashbacks, letting us get to know Alex and Poppy slowly and through the bittersweet lens of nostalgia.  And although their living situations, jobs, and romantic statuses change, they keep at it for a decade.

Poppy is a free spirit who showers three times a week and lives in vintage jumpsuits whereas Alex is a planner who runs at dawn and prefers brand-new button-downs.  Maybe that's why they stay in the friend zone.  Yet although much is made of their Odd Couple ways, they're at their most comfortable -- and happiest -- together.  Which tracks, because they have three key things in common: 1) They're both writers, 2) They both have a stellar sense of humor (so much more important than on-the-same-page hygiene), and 3) They both come from the same small town in Ohio.  Interestingly, it's the town of their origin stories that keeps them from becoming even closer.  Haunted by being taunted in high school, Poppy dropped out of college and fled to New York City, eager to begin her globe-trotting life as a travel writer.  But Alex put down roots, building a career as an English teacher-slash-short story writer to be near his dad, who's still grieving the death of his mom.  And that works.  Because Alex and Poppy have their summer vacations, or as Poppy puts it, their "world for two."  

But sooner or later, vacations must end, even for Alex and Poppy.  As they enter their thirties, they can no longer pretend that they don't have to decide what to do with their lives -- and each other.  Can they move on from the carefree, no-strings-attached vibe of the Go-Go's "Vacation" to the let's-be-each-other's-north-star romance of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros' "Home"?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But one thing's for sure.  Sometimes, the people we meet on vacation aren't strangers, but the best versions of ourselves.

Then again, sometimes they are strangers.  But that's a different kind of book for a different kind of blog. 

P.S. Don't talk to strangers.

8 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Aw..thanks so much for mentioning Ivy's closet, etc. Thanks so much.

I really liked the modern premise of this book. Like a slice of life of the Millenials. Yet beginnings are sometimes better than endings. Such cool character names. I liked how you put it, "Vacation brings out of best selves." Although, I don't know if that's true for me. I'm usually lost or sick just from traveling. Loved your review!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, this was so great! Loved so many descriptions of describing this book. And I think that the secret truth is ... is that as much as we really do know each other we can still be strangers. Thanks so much for mentioned Caitlin & Megan!

Thank you for your comments too. I feel in "Frankie's story" He's still learning a lot about himself. All though, I think he's always been conscious of people thinking he's 'gay' when he's not and now maybe he's even doubting himself.

I hope you guys are getting a little vacation too. Yet, I still feel best staying home...these days.

ellie said...

Oh, what a delightful review! LOVED IT! Liked that part about Edward Sharpe and so much more! The travel writer and the short story writer..what could go wrong? I think it would be hard to be with a writer if you are a writer, yet I fell in love with someone who I thought would be writing, but these days he just journals. Oh, and he never reads my stories because he always thinks I am writing about him. Thank you for mentioning my blog and my other blogs too. I so greatly appreciate it. I'm glad you found a book you might want to read at Ivy's Closet. It's always fun to find new books that come in to the library. Unfortunately, I don't always have time to read them.

Thank you so much for your comments too. Hopefully, a few more things will unfold with Mick & Jools as well as for Valentina and Matty. And things get a little weird for a few other couples too. Somehow, it's always easier to write ahead with "Ellie" than with "Caitlin and Megan".

Kathy Leonia said...

i meet stranger usually during the bus joyrney:D

Julie Ann Lozada said...

this book sounds so great. this is my kind of story.

Anyway, you have a very interesting blog. Let's connect. I followed your blog, I hope you can follow back! Thanks

JULIE ANN LOZADA BLOG
INSTAGRAM: @julieann_lozada

Samantha said...

Wow, this book sounds reeeeally good!!! I love when stories center around two very-different-from-each-other characters but still manage to find some things in common to make it work (friendship or otherwise!) The book cover is so cute, too!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review. It made me think about the people we have actually met on vacations including two couples (met at different times) that we stay in touch with and have become dear friends.

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sounds interesting, but sadly, I never have the time to read anymore.