Thursday, June 3, 2010

Good-bye, Rue: Thank You for Being a Friend

Ode to the Golden Girls print by Elloh hanging proudly in my living room

Today I was surprised and distressed to hear that Rue McClanahan, better known as Blanche on The Golden Girls, passed away of a stroke last night at age 76. I was watching Golden Girls reruns just last night while painting, thinking how Rue and Betty White were the only surviving cast members. And now it's just Betty. I can't help but feel sad and a little empty. For those of you who don't know, I'm a huge Golden Girls fan. I remember my grandmother watching the show when she babysat my sister and cousin and me on Saturday nights. But it wasn't until I was older and watched the reruns that I fell in love with the show's sharp, often off-kilter humor and its four plucky heroines. "What is it about those old ladies?" my sister once asked me, puzzled by my fascination. I didn't know what to tell her, except that they were fun and strangely comforting. They still are.

No comments: