Sunday, June 24, 2018

Linked Pin: The Social Network of Not-So-Solitude


 Ice Cream Dream Charm Necklace



Leopard cami: Worthington, JCPenney
Polka dot top: Wet Seal
Rainbow stripe top: Alloy

They say that people get married to have someone witness their lives.  (Also so that they'll have someone to nuke them Cup o' Noodles when they're sick.  Because technology can't do that yet, unless you're geeky and/or rich enough to own a robo-chef.)  But sometimes, I think, that's why people blog, too.  Even married people.  It's like saying, hey, I'm out here, having these thoughts as I make jewelry/bake cupcakes/paint landscapes/write music or whatever else kind of creative thing it is that people do.  Kind of like keeping a somewhat censored and very public diary without the unicorn cover and lock.  

Blogging is a form of storytelling, a kind of letter from and to yourself -- and everyone else -- that reminds us that even when engaged in the seclusion of artistic pursuits, we are intertwined and connected.  And I've always loved storytelling.  Because there's no wrong way to do it.  Sure, you can hone your craft or take a class, but at the end of the day, your story is your account of what happened, and no one can tell it but you.  

That said, this week I made some simple charm necklaces.  I used to think that it wasn't really art unless I'd suffered a little.  You know, spent hours teasing intricate designs from felt, using just enough glue so that everything would stick together, but not so much that it would seep through and make it all (symbolically) fall apart.  But lately I've taken a simpler view.  There's nothing lesser about attaching charms to a chain, not if you think the result is beautiful.  And creating beauty is what art is about.

Just this morning, the husband and I split a kiwi.  He said that kiwis are very seedy and hairy, and I said, yes, like a weird little man.  

And now I'm repeating it here.

If that's not the nexus between inner and outer thoughts and marriage and blogging, then I don't know what is.

P. S. Kevin Kiwi says hi.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

I love your new creations, especially the Fruit Frenzy charm necklace!!! Perfect for summer. The yellow leopard print top is my favorite! I enjoyed your story of intertwining artistic pursuits with blogging and marriage - that was really cute! I love what you wrote about blogging, that we are "intertwined and connected" even during our artistic pursuits.

Aren't kiwis awesome? :) *waves to Kevin Kiwi*

Dressed With Soul said...

Yes, I see this connection, too :) And you are so right with your thoughts about blogging - everything what you wrote is totally true! What you created is cute and lovely and I'm very happy you share your wonderful creations on your blog!
xx Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Jewel Divas Style said...

I peel my kiwis. cut off the top and bottom then peel and eat.