Saturday, June 19, 2021

Celebrity Date Nut Cred: Giving Love a Swirl (or Swirly)

From left to right: Self Esteem, Macy's; Delia's, Dolls Kill

When I first saw the commercials for The Celebrity Dating Game hosted by Zooey Deschanel and Michael Bolton, I was like, what?!  I couldn't remember a duo that bizarre since that Martha Stewart and Snoop Dog ad for Tostitos.  Which is to say, I had to watch it.  

The show, which airs on Mondays on ABC, is a reboot (yes, another one!) of The Dating Game, which first aired in 1965.  As a nod to that peace and love era, the set is adorned with big, groovy purple flower décor (just as this very post is decked out with swirly sweet tie dye tees).  And in the tradition of 1983's Love Connection, 1995's Singled Out, and, yes, the original The Dating Game, its "plot" centers around one lonesome lad or lady grilling three randos in an attempt to find love.  Only in this case, the on-the-prowl soul is a secret celebrity hidden from the hopefuls.  The celebrity asks the competitors a series of questions, ostensibly to determine their compatibility but really to entertain us, and the answers are as ridiculous as you'd expect.  For example, when comedian Nicole Byer asked one particularly dubious dude to describe love, he said that it was "like taking a dump."  So, it's all pretty cringeworthy.  But not bad background TV to craft to.  Indeed, one contestant's dream date for former bachelorette Hannah Brown (this is, after all, ABC), was none other than crafting, a suggestion that inspired Deschanel to pipe up, "I love crafting!"

Speaking of Deschanel, I can only surmise that the indie darling is hosting this show ironically.  But I've seen enough celebs-turned-game-show-hosts on late night (Deschanel just lack week on Kimmel included), to know that she's contract-bound to never admit it.  Yet gimmicky gig or not, I always dig Deschanel's performances -- and wardrobe.  For The Celebrity Dating Game premier, she wore an adorable ruffly red and white dress that made her look like a valentine.  

As for Bolton, I think he's laughing on the inside too.  He'd have to be, as his job is to sing a parody of a famous love song filled with clues about the celebrity's identity.  Like most of us, I can't think of Bolton without remembering his Fabio locks or that Office Space line where one of the Bobs (John C. McGinley) asks office drone Michael Bolton (David Herman) what his favorite Bolton song is and he, despite his hatred of the crooner, squeaks out, "All of them."

Anyway, each episode of The Celebrity Dating Game ends with the celebrity selecting a suitor (or suitress?) and hugging him or her awkwardly.  Deschanel and company blow the signature Dating Game kisses out into the ether, and then . . . that's it.  No one goes on a date.  Which, although anticlimactic, is probably for the best, especially considering the aforementioned bathroom humor hijinks.

And now for this Electric Elephant Rampage Necklace, which has nothing to do with The Celebrity Dating Game except that I'm "rebooting," or rather, posting a new pic of it on Etsy: 


So come Monday, will I tune in to the next installment of The Celebrity Dating Game?  As they say, all's fair in love and ratings wars.  

And as I say, as long as there are accessories to be made, I'll give it -- if not a swirly -- a whirl.

11 comments:

all types recepies and desert said...

Beautiful dress

ellie said...

I was wondering how our NEW GIRL was doing these days. Bright-eyed as ever. I have not watched it yet. Oh some of the original episodes of the old show is priceless. I am sure this one will have it's moments too. Hopefully. So do Zooey and Michael ever sing together? I think they should make an album together..=)

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So fun-filled! Thanks for the review of the show. I have caught it yet. I know I should. It feels all the primetime networks are going to game shows this summer. But ABC generally puts in some extra laughs too. I love Deschanel's style. Of course, I am always wondering who is Zooey with now. And I love her music too.

Carefully Listening said...

Awesome new necklace design! Thanks for sharing your thought on the new Dating Game. It does look like it might be a riot of fun! Oh, I just never thought I'd see Zooey as a host. I still think of her at The It Girl..even though, I guess those days might be over.

bread&salt said...

İ have not watched "Celebrity Dating Game tvshow - ABC tv". But Looks really different. Also this tvshow is very popular in google-forums and bing-forums. Have a great new week.

Evi Erlinda said...

Such a great rebooting, Tracy!
The necklace is so cute!

Lovely said...

The necklace is cute!
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Kathy Leonia said...

this necklace is so amazing:)

Tanza Erlambang said...

The Dating Game sounds good... I should watch.

# Beautiful dress and necklace......

Samantha said...

Love the tie-dye!! I've been watching The Celebrity Dating Game too and it's so funny; I love the retro vibes the show has with the background décor! And as you mentioned, Zooey's amazing ensembles (the Valentine-esque dress is my favorite so far!) It definitely seems like a fun show to craft to - your Eclectic Elephant Rampage Necklace is super cute, unique and fun!!

Jewel Divas Style said...

We've had some incredibly stupid reboots of dating games that were all axed, but we don't get the US ones.

Cool necklace, it has a little record player.