Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Granny Square Dance Stance: '90s Nostalgia but Never for Algebra or Other Unpleasant Things

Boots: Betsey Johnson, Macy's

Eighties Explosion Charm Necklace

Dress: Rewind, Kohl's

Scrunchies: Lady Arya, Zulily

The pose in this first pic was the husband's idea.  At first, I thought it was silly, as if I were wielding my granny square bag like some kind of nursing home vigilante.  But later I decided I liked it.  Maybe that's because this bag is one of my favorites.  It's so colorful and is roomier than it looks, its slouchy frame molding itself to anything I toss inside.  Best of all, I got it from Delia's way back when I was sixteen.  Remember flipping through the Delia's catalog and going on an imaginary shopping spree before deciding to spend your after-school job money on blue nail polish, then calling the order in on your landline?  Good times!    

Bag: Excel, Delia's

Anyway, I was so excited the day this bag arrived.  And I distinctly remember wearing it, along with my homemade cutoffs and halter top, to the Y100 music festival, which was held outside of Philly.  Green Day headlined, and at the end they set their drums on fire.  But before you go thinking that I was a badass, I should say that I went with my mom (and my sister and my sister's best friend and her mom).  So when I carry this bag these days, it's like I'm bringing some of the '90s with me.  Well, the good parts.  There were plenty of bad parts too (show me someone who didn't have any during her formative years, and I'll show you a liar).  But no need to go into that here, where I'm all about the fuzzy, feel-good vibes of nostalgia.  As Baz Luhrmann says in "Everybody's Free (to Wear Sunscreen)," "Advice is a form of nostalgia.  Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts, and recycling it for more than it's worth."  

Which brings me to the rest of my '90s-inspired outfits, including a baby doll dress, a jumper, neon barrettes, and butterfly-print tights.     

Boots: Betsey Johnson, Zulily

Dress: Trixxi, Kohl's

Striped bangle: Mixit, JCPenney; Yellow bangle: Silver Linings, Ocean City

Dress: Candie's, Kohl's

Top: Derek Heart, Macy's

Black Cherry Bow Necklace, Red Ring Necklace

Skirt: So, Kohl's

Bag: Betsey Johnson, Zulily

Dress: Candie's, Kohl's

Bag: Betsey Johnson, ROSS; Bracelets: So, Kohl's

And that's the end of this strut down memory lane.  Before I go, though, I've got two confessions to make.  The first is that last week on my way to the dentist, I rocked out to my Forever '90s CD (My favorite jam?  Eve 6's "Inside Out").  The second is that I still have a pair of (store-bought) cutoffs, complete with daisy appliques.  They're not from my teens or anything, but I haven't worn them in years.  And after trying them on with, of all things, fishnets, I think it should stay that way!  

Because nostalgic or not, some things -- algebra included -- are best left in the past.  

At least that's my advice to myself. :)      

12 comments:

ellie said...

What a spectacular post! Love'n all these neons mixed with the floral ..and especially the granny square bag. Oh, that must have been some concert! Love that your mom and sisters went! Such wonderful nostalgia!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

That is some cool baby doll dress! Awesome outfits. Oh, I have to go looking for my Eve 6! Love that you are bringing back the 90's. Love your story about the Delia bag. You always find some great finds!

Tanza Erlambang said...

Dress (Rewind, Kohl's) looks different.... and pretty.

handbags designs so attractive... love it.

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, somebody can really take some awesome pictures. But your outfits are definitely the life of the party. Such a cool charm bracelet too. You make me miss those concerts! Thanks so much for this nostalgic post!

bread&salt said...

Very nice Bags and dresses. İ like Candie's, Kohl's dress and Betsey Johnson zulily bag. Thanks for the review.

Kathy Leonia said...

I am completely in love with you style girl:D

all types recepies and desert said...

Beautiful pic great post

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

Your bags are so unique and statement. I like all of them and how you combine them with outfits. You look amazing.

www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

Evi Erlinda said...

You look fabulous!
Great nostalgic :)
I always love the baby doll dress and granny square designs.

Samantha said...

So much glorious 90's nostalgia in this post!!! I love the story behind your granny square bag. It's nice when things have memories connected to them! Your accessories are darling (really love the 80's explosion charm bracelet!) The neon barrettes are so eye-catching and pick up the colors in the rainbow purse. The white collar with the plaid dress is SO cool!! I love it all. Eve 6's "Inside Out" is truly a great jam and I agree that algebra needs to stay dead and buried in the past!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I am so glad I found your site. Love your posts with all the color, fabulous outfits, accessories and all your insights.

Jewel Divas Style said...

If only I could rock print tights again. I did in the 80s/90s, but they're just not me, now.