Thursday, September 29, 2022

Blood Test Blues Beget New Shoes -- And Also Happy Endings


I'd just read a book that left a bad taste in my mouth (I've endured many a dud that I've spared you) and was in need of something super sweet.  Enter Kerry Winfrey's Just Another Love Song.  It's about a small-town girl and the high-school-sweetheart-turned-country-music-star who got away.  They meet again fifteen years later while planning the annual summer fair, an event bursting with bake-offs and corndogs in a charming if sometimes caricatured tribute to the Midwest.  Now, it isn't the best romance I've ever read.  It's not even the best Winfrey romcom I've ever read (that would be Not Like the Movies).  But it was amusing and cheerful and soothing.  And with that other sordid story still fresh in my mind -- plus a trip to Lab Corp looming -- it was exactly what I needed.  

Indeed, as the phlebotomist prepped me, I was already buried in its pages, prompting her to ask if I was okay. "Yes," I said, still not looking up, "I've got my book friend here."  I actually uttered those words: book friend.  But I didn't care.  Because through years of trial and error, I've learned that books get me through icky stuff, however weird and antisocial it may seem to others.  So a shoutout to all the authors out there who weave worlds to take us out of ourselves -- and our less-than-ideal day-to-days.

And also a shoutout to Samantha over at PinkBopp and The Big Hair Diaries, who generously shared the Amazon link for these adorable blue flats: 


I know, I know.  I'm supposed to be on a buying ban.  And one month in, I still am (as recently as today, I resisted 10% Rakuten cashback from Kohl's; how strong am I?).  But for me, getting blood drawn always means getting a small prize, and I wasn't about to deny myself because of some self-imposed fashion fasting (especially because I'd had enough of actual fasting).  And these ten-dollar beauties were just the thing.  Cute and retro, they remind me of the earlier 2000s when I last had a pair, marveling at their cloud-like comfort as I crawled the mall.  Now the mall is mostly empty storefronts and subpar pizza.  Although to be fair, even in its heyday, food court pizza wasn't that great.

So that's how buying the blues -- and reading about a guy singing the blues -- made me feel anything but.  

Just Another Love Song may be just another romcom.  But to me it was a symphony.  

8 comments:

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your sharing...

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Glad you found a comforting book to take with your for your blood test. I find that if you have the right person, the blood draw can be a cinch BUT if you don't, it can be lots of painful pokes until that blood comes out. I never thought of bringing a book. Such a good idea~ I do love the little blue slipper sandals and went to the sites you shared, but couldn't find the link. I've had similar sandals/slippers before that I got at outdoor flea markets that I no longer frequent. can you provide the actual link?

ellie said...

Oh, adoring those slippers! they look so comfy! Thanks for the wonderful review. Here's to all being well. Yes, this author is on my list yet somehow I always get sidetracked. ❤️❤️❤️❤️🍁🍁🍁🍁 thanks so much for your comments..I just couldn't keep Mercer and Cade away from each other. Hope you have a great October! I am afraid I am wig happy at the moment. I ordered an emerald green wig!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, my..I'm glad you found this book. So good to hear about it. I hope all is good. Lovely and comfy shoes. Those look so good for this fall...inside! πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€πŸ–€ Thank you so much for your comments and your inspiring colors, too. Oh, I kept thinking..there should be a baby. And unlike in another story blog..this birth came much faster. But now will somebody survive fatherhood?

Better Left Unsaid said...

Always enjoy these reviews. I really need to catch up with this author. Thanks so much! & such delightful slippers to have for this winter too!🍁❤️☕🧁 Thanks for your comments. I have to admit I do like writing about Cara and her misadventures. Hope you are doing well and I so dislike blood test.

The Tote Trove said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samantha said...

Yessssssss!!!!!! You got your beautiful blue shoes! They are gorgeous and I love the fun flower design you added around the border of the photo! Thanks for the shoutout; I'm glad I could be an inspiration for your purchase prize! :) I'm happy to hear that your "book friend" helped you through your blood test, and that books in general have helped you through the icky parts of life. I totally get how a book feels like a friend! This book sounds super cute and what a great read to get you through the blood test blues. A happy ending, indeed! :) Also, cheers to staying strong and resisting the tempting Rakuten cashback from Kohl's!

Mor Düşler Kitaplığı said...

The book looks interesting and your slippers are so cute. Thanks for your sharing and have a good day :)