Sunday, October 2, 2022

Space Cowgirl Pearls: Cacti and Aliens

Sunglasses: Nordstrom Rack; Purse charm: The Tote Trove; Fuchsia bangle: Mixit, JCPenney; Green bracelet: Parade of Shoes; Blue bracelet: Cloud Nine, Ocean City; Ring: Making Waves, Ocean City; Yellow and green bangles: B Fabulous: Bag: Xhilaration, Target; Shoes: Katy Perry Collection



Shoes: Katy Perry Collection; Bag: Betsey Johnson, Amazon; Sunglasses: Amazon; Bracelet: Amrita Singh, Zulily


Top: Bar III, Macy's


Yellow bangles: B Fabulous; Mint bangle: Decree, JCPenney; Striped bangle: Kohl's; Beaded bangle and rings: Mixit, JCPenney


Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Boulder Necklace


Shoes: Katy Perry Collection, Amazon

Skirts: Amazon




Top: Marshalls

Blue belt: Mixit, JCPenney; Silver belt: Boscov's; Big beaded bracelet: Francesca's; Green bracelet: Cloud Nine, Ocean City; Rainbow bracelet: Zulily; Blue bracelet: Arizona Jeans, JCPenney; Small beaded bracelet: ZAD, Zulily; Ring: Charlotte Russe

Purple top: So, Kohl's



Skirt: Bongo, Sears

Shoes: Nine West, Kohl's; Bag: Olivia Miller, Amazon; Barrettes: The Tote Trove


Top: Mighty Fine, Kohl's

To anyone thinking, what's with this Jersey girl cranking out all these cacti?, I say this: if I knew the answer to that one, then I'd switch to pine trees.  But there's just something mysterious yet comforting about the signature shape of the saguaro.  It's like a three-fingered hand waving hello, a seasoned survivor of the sun-scorched desert signaling that it's going to be okay.  And that goes double for its little green friend.  Yes, this here almond-eyed alien head knows a thing or two about being tough.  

Appearing at a Phoenix funhouse near you, the Albuquerque Alien (which, I realize, makes no sense, since extra-terrestrials are meant to frequent Roswell, not Albuquerque, and Phoenix is in Arizona.  As for the funhouse -- just, yeah.  I'm powerless when it comes to alliteration), is primed to party.  And for the purposes of this post, so am I.

And by party I mean, of course, read.  I ordered Jenn McKinlay's Wait For It just because it had cacti on the cover.  This bright poolside scene depicts the desert of my dreams: lush, exotic, and heavily hydrated.  


The story itself was enjoyable too, a haters-to-lovers romance with some spot-on office politics mixed in.  (To be clear, the haters-to-lovers don't work together.  Their particular brand of tension stems from a landlord-renter relationship.)  Freelance graphic designer Annabelle Martin flees Boston -- and a marriage proposal -- to take a creative director job in Phoenix.  While the warm weather is a welcome change, dealing with conniving coworkers -- as opposed to just her couch -- isn't.  Still, extrovert Annabelle gamely takes on this added stress for the benefit of workplace camaraderie.  Although I didn't relate to her on that level, I did find her to be fun and colorful and wanted good things for her.  Also, I love that she took her cranky landlord to the desert to see a meteor shower.  Never underestimate the magic of moonlit cacti.  

And now for some vegetation found right here in Jersey:     

Yes, it's red leaves wreathed by pine needles!  It doesn't get much more Pinelands than that.  Seeing it last weekend in a parking lot made me 1) happy because, the wonders of nature and all, and 2) sad because it was a reminder that soon, if I want to make it to this or any other parking lot while it's still daylight, then I'm going to have to leave the house before four o'clock. 

Mother Nature -- cacti notwithstanding -- you are a cruel mistress.

10 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Wow- you packed a lot into this post! Purple and hot pink are two of my favorites so I was enjoying the outfits! Really interesting blue boots and I love the outfit with the yellow overlay skirt with the cacti. The book certainly adds to the cactus theme and sounds like an entertianing read. I get bummed about the time change and darkness earlier in the day. But I'm off to Florida in a week so the light will be preserved a little longer. We usually have an hour more daylight than the East cost.

ellie said...

Oh, the Alien and the Cactus do belong together! Such a wonderful post! Adoring those shoes and boots! Some really cacti fun! & a book review too! WOW❤️🍂🍁💕🧁☕Happy October! Thanks for your comments. Yes, life can be a rollercoaster even for Jay! And of course, I can't help but push in more of Brooklyn's downfall and Mercer's safe landing with Cade. Still, I will have to admit Alfie just might be the worst but maybe he'll snap out of it. October is a long month..oh, and let's not forget Poppy. Yes, I am sure I should be decluttering something with my cluttered mind. All the best to a beautiful fantastic October!

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, you have some great Cacti items! Adoring these! Love your Cacti inspiration too. Definitely haunting with the Alien too. Such amazing bags and even more. In love with those shoes too! Some inspiring prints too!>>>>>>>>>Oh, I am the first to note life has always given me a surreal moment here and there. People are very peculiar. Thanks so much for your comments. I go in today to get the medication the insurance will pay for. I just hope the side effects aren't too bad. Oh, here's to a magical October ☕🧁🍁🍂🎃💗

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Such a great name for this post! Oh, so exciting! Love the colors and of course, the cacti and everything that comes with it! So adoring those boots too. Looks like you have been inspired! And the cacti inspired you to read a fun quirky book too. I have a friend whose brother is named Cactus. Yes, I only thought that happened in novels. Evidently, Cactus is quite a character too.💕❤️🍂🖤🍁🦋🧁 Thanks so much for reading! Oh, I don't think Ali had Covid, but just actually running away from where he had been might have left an impression. Yet, that is a possibility. Thanks so much for being here. All the best to your creativity!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Lovely cacti! So inpsiring. Yes, such amazing necklaces you have came up. Awesome broches too! Such a great way to kick the week off! Oh, those aliens are so adorable too! Thanks for the book review too!

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Oh, you have a way of making the cactus adorable. So trending...if it isn't..well, it will be now! Love the outfits! Oh, and thanks for the wonderful book review too! I hope all is well this October! Thank you so much for reading and your comments too!

Better Left Unsaid said...

Great to see these! Lovely colors! So unique and very inspiring! Such a great way to kick off October! For the love of the cactus! Such fun! I really love how you wear those cool boots too!

Thank you so much for your comments. Oh, I know I took forever to continue on ward as of late in this story. Maybe I will speed things up now! Thanks again for such a wonderful blog!

Samantha said...

Cacti and aliens - I knew this would be a great post!!! Your theme of the two throughout this post, and the southwestern flavor of your outfit with the horseshoe purse, are totally adorable! From your barrettes to your cool necklaces, they are each so unique and look amazing with your outfit creations. I especially love the color coordination of your cactus purse, shoes and accessories! That Kohl's shirt with the photography on it is my favorite. And you're right; there's something comforting about the saguaro shape, and even almond-eyed aliens for that matter, which are proven by your awesome barrette brooches. The book sounds like a fun read that perfectly fits the theme of this desert-inspired post, and the cover is definitely desert dreamy! Lastly, your fall foliage snapshot is so cool. It is a downer that the days get so much shorter!

The Book Group said...

Awesome megapost! I love what you can do for a cactus! You definitely make it trend worthy! So inspiring! All the best to a wonderful October!

Mor Düşler Kitaplığı said...

You and your photos are sooo colorful. I like them so much. Thanks for your sharing. Have a good day :)