Sunday, March 3, 2024

Small Town, Big Heart, Up Down, Fresh Start


For the most part, I'm drawn to three kinds of fiction: cozy mysteries, romcoms, and heartwarming dramas.  That said, I write about the mysteries and romcoms a lot.  But when it comes to the dramas, not so much.  I think it's because they demand a little more from me.  Yet that's also why, more often than not, they touch me the deepest.  And that was the case with Elizabeth Berg's The Confession Club.

The Confession Club is one of Berg's Mason, Missouri novels and revisits some of her characters from Night of Miracles.  Local ladies of different ages meet weekly to take turns spilling secrets over coffee and cake.  Sometimes the confessions that seem the most mundane prove to be the most cathartic.  Because this club -- and this book -- aren't about shock value.  They're about letting go and embracing the world.

For example, when the heroine, Iris, meets a man with a sad past, Berg describes the moment with wistful wisdom:

"It's beautiful outside.  It's as though the edges of the world have been lightly erased, and everything is infused with a violet light: the sky, the droplets that hang from the tips of leaves, the mesh of tall weeds at the side of the road, even the road itself.  Then, as the color begins to fade, she realizes it was a trick of the eye, a kind of saturation that occurred from looking so deeply at all those purple lilacs.  But it was wonderful, that false vision, an unconscious surrender to seeing things another way." (73)   

I like to think that this is what Iris and the other women learn -- that "tricks" are sometimes trails to the truth, and that beauty can be our salvation.

No wonder I didn't want to leave Mason.  Luckily, Berg has a few more books set there, so it'll be a bit before I have to.       

6 comments:

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Awesome review! Berg has evolved. And of course, she has her mysterious ways of sharing her wisdom, too. Such a lovely backdrop for this series. Thanks so much. πŸ€πŸ©·πŸ’šπŸ§πŸ’šπŸ©·πŸ€ Thank you for your comments too. Thanks so much for reading. Oh, I have to keep Wade in the loop somehow...(✿◡‿◡)(✿◕‿◕✿)(u‿ฺu✿ฺ) Of course, it's been fun finding new characters too! πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’š All the best to a Happy March!

ellie said...

She certainly has a way in women's fiction. And I enjoy that the most about her writing. Thanks for the sweet review. Such a unique setting with a group of characters, as well. Love your take on Berg. πŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šπŸ’šThanks for your comments. It has been fun going places I didn't think I would go with Rafe and Cade. And of course, Maddie. Still, enjoying those Chili moments, as well. Thanks for being here. Thanks for all your inspiration. All the best to a beautiful March πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€

Ivy's Closet said...

Such a wonderful review! I always love the bookcovers to this series. So inviting in a very unique way. Thanks so much for the wonderful review.

I have found a new doctor. Although, I'm still waiting to find out what is next. They'd said Friday, but I'm still waiting. A lot like my Amazon package that got lost. I guess I'm not going to get the Odelie face most mermaid. This is the first time I've had this happen with Amazon. Even so, they did have a 2015 Ashia (glam squad) available. So I hope I get that today. I have several of this face mold, but never a fair redhead. Of course, I won't keep her in the box. Happy March!

Samantha said...

Wow, the quote from the book you included is amazingly detailed!! "But it was wonderful, that false vision, an unconscious surrender to seeing things another way." Beautiful! This sounds like a real gem of a book, and I love when books make you not want to "leave". It's nice that you get to revisit! πŸ’™πŸ‘πŸ’›

Kinga K. said...

Lovely cover :D

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I am a fan of Elizabeth Berg, so will be picking up a copy of this book thanks to my familiarity with her, and to your wonderful review. I’m in the process of reading an advanced copy of, I suppose, a cozy mystery (perhaps procedural?) in the “Brittany Mystery” series that I’ve just discovered, and am devouring as quickly as the main character devours fresh oysters. Keep your reviews coming, I really enjoy them