Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Mama Drama: Ripping Off the Band-Aid

"Buy yourself some cute Band-Aids."  That was what my sister said when I told her that I had gestational diabetes.  Well, she said a lot of other (very helpful!) things too, having gone through this horror herself.  But that was what, ahem, stuck with me when I finally decided to write this post.  

When I got my test results, I was terrified.  I had no idea how I was going to cut carbs and (gulp) prick myself four times a day.  The husband, as always, was (and is) amazing, patiently showing me how to use the glucose monitor and making me protein-rich meals.  The first time I stuck myself, I almost threw up.  Then another time shortly after I couldn't get the needle thingy to work (I'm not the most mechanical person), and the more the clock ticked, the more flustered I got.  Panicked, I thought, I can't do this.  And then, like a sign from the universe, it all clicked -- literally and figuratively.  The pen did its thing, and I took my reading.  And I knew that I could and would do this, for my health and for the health of my baby.

It's been a week and a half now, and I already feel like an old, ahem, hand.  I even went for other (pregnancy-related) bloodwork earlier this week and was completely fine.  Best of all, so far, my numbers have been great.  So, pizza-free or not, I feel incredibly lucky.  It's a comfort knowing that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. 

And that sometimes the only way to stop being a baby is to have one.

6 comments:

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, I feel for you. It took me forever to get a new machine as of late. Something about this portal not connecting to that portal( and that was just the internet with the insurance) But I did get a new one and I can only take a prick once a day. My last pregnancy they kept me at the hospital and wouldn't let me go until I could give myself a shot. That was intense, but I got over it..cause I wanted to go home. And after a while I realized..they were little needles. Needless to say, I felt I snacked most days and walked...a lot. By the last 3 months I was off insulin. BTW I love Wellies! I have a few tens around and have given them as presents too. Here is hoping you both will continue to stay healthy. Also think what good teeth someone will have too because of what you eat. Thanks for this update. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much for reading and catching up with Caitlin and Megan. Oh, it is silly..yet funny when I get an idea at a stoplight for Wade and his wayward ways! And Caitlin's ideas of how to solve her theories. And after watching one drama with newcomer "Louie" I just needed him in Sunny's story (✿◡‿◡)

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, I am sure it isn't easy with that many pricks a day. I see those commercials about Decom something..and I don't think I could do that. I have heard many problems from a Diabetic support group I'm in about those causing infections or falling off on your arm. Of course, no one has mentioned that I get one at my provider either. I think it is the hardest for me being with coworkers who have no sympathy nor do they understand what any of this means. I keep thinking, they are supposed to be intelligent people, but they don't seem to care what I should be eating or can eat. πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ remember your carrots and spinach. I'm so glad your husband is there for you. & your sister, too.

ellie said...

I am proud of you! I know you can do this. Although, I am sure you feel like you are in a science experiment everyday. I lost a lot of weight during my second pregnancy. But I walked so much then. I still have my leather shoes from that time. I had been left without a doctor suddenly, because of some issues on the base where we were stationed. I have to admit I am thankful didn't have the baby there, but the only doctor I could find was a unique Nigeran doctor who only spoke French. She was very good. And I'm thankful I found her when I did. At that time, it was just diet and exercise. And I felt both made me stronger. πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ It is kind of funny how I probably have more pregnant stories than I ever anticipated in my stories. Just recently, a reader said "Another pregnant woman..." I think she has been wondering if Em will ever have her baby...soon..very soon..I promise. 🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷🩷 All the best with those colorful bandaids! We use them a lot too! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸŒΈπŸŒΈπŸŒΈπŸŒΈSending good vibes!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Oh, the struggles. It does take some getting used to. But I know you are a wonderful Mamma to be. Wishing you lots of happiness these days, even if no pizza and pasta. πŸ‰πŸ‰πŸ‰πŸ‰πŸ‰πŸ‰πŸ‰ Oh, on a whim I decided to write a new post..(✿◡‿◡)

Samantha said...

Those band-aids are ultra cute!!! What great advice your sister had. And, hats off to you for being courageous and taking charge! The great support system you have also helps, I'm sure! πŸ©ΉπŸ’—πŸ’šπŸ’™

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I’m sorry that you have to deal with this. I would not like sticking myself either, but leave it to you to come up with the cutest Band-Aids. That has to make things better, right?