Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Christmas Gift Card Holders Relaunched

Warm Mittens Holiday Gift Card Holder

Wreath Christmas Gift Card Holder

Christmas Candle Gift Card Holder

"Hey," you may be thinking. "Didn't you just launch these last Saturday?" Well, yeah. I did. And I thought they were as ready as they'd ever be. At least until I took a gander at what they looked like next to other sellers' gift card holders in the Etsy Holiday section. In two words, not good. Photographed against plain white backgrounds, they appeared washed out, unfestive, and yes, I'll say it, sad. Which was not, of course, how they appeared in real life. So, I did what any self-respecting Etsian would and high-tailed it to the nearest Christmas Tree Shops to buy myself a fake holly bush against which to rephotograph (and hopefully revitalize) my pieces.

I was amazed by the difference. The dark holly leaves created a backdrop that was interesting and Christmasy but not busy. The candy canes I stuck in each tote (another Christmas Tree Shops purchase) made them seem more gifty. The closer and slightly diagonal camera angle provided a clearer view of the artwork. Finally, my unmerciless approach this second time around probably didn't hurt. (I allowed myself to take no fewer than four photographs of each tote in an effort to walk away with a good one; in many cases I took more.)

Naturally, I've begun relisting with abandon.

No comments: