Sunday, June 25, 2017

Chokehold Gold: Neck and Neck With Tradition and Grrr! Tiger Lilies



Top: Candie's, Kohl's
Shorts: Merona, Target
Shoes: Chinese Laundry, JCPenney
Bag: Delia's
Hat: JCPenney
Scarf: Betseyville, JCPenney
Pink and orange bangles: Mixit, JCPenney
Yellow and orange bangles: B Fabulous
Sunglasses: The Tote Trove


Top: Candie's, Kohl's
Shorts: Merona, Target
Bag: Olivia Miller, JCPenney
Shoes: So, Kohl's
Barrettes: The Tote Trove
White and pink bangles: Mixit, JCPenney
Red and blue bangles: B Fabulous
Sunglasses: The Tote Trove



Top: Candie's, Kohl's
Shorts: Merona, Target
Bag: Glamour Damaged, Etsy
Shoes: Candie's, Kohl's
Blue scarf: Rachel Roy, Macy's
Purple scarf: Candie's, Kohl's
Barrettes: The Tote Trove
Blue bangle: So, Kohl's
Pink bangle: Target
Yellow bangles: B Fabulous
Sunglasses: The Tote Trove


Top: Candie's, Kohl's
Shorts: Merona, Target
Bag: Charming Charlie
Shoes: Modcloth
Scarf: A.C. Moore
Sunglasses: The Tote Trove
Mint bangle: Decree, JCPenney
Purple bangle: Target
Yellow bangles: B Fabulous

From top: Trippy Hippy Choker (yes, I've posted this one before :), Aztec Knack Choker, Rural Floral Choker, Zigzag Swag Choker

I love that chokers have made a comeback.  Like pompoms and ruffles, these turtlenecks of jewelry can be found in stores of all stripes this summer, their embroidered/lacy/beaded and sometimes charmed selves beckoning from demure little cards or cute boxes.  When I first saw them, I thought, yep, the '90s are back.  I was instantly transported to Claire's where preteen me would buy chokers and other such treasures by the basketful, prompting my mom to say, hey, I had those in the '60s.  Indeed, chokers emerged on the style scene long before love beads and Woodstock.  I'm thinking way, way back to Victorian times when genteel ladies (and yes, a few harlots) would wear the cameo kind with their hats and hoop skirts.  Of course, anyone who'd remember that firsthand has long since been six feet under.  Ah, fashion, you're so cruelly cyclic.   

Anyway, I was smitten with this accessory's (to me) second coming and bought a bunch to Tote Trove-ify.  I had the best time embellishing them with chains and charms, imagining the outfits that'd best set off their fab festival-ready vibe.  That said, I haven't listed them in my Etsy shop because 1) I like them so much I want to keep them (obvi), and 2) I don't know if the chain part would fit the general public.  Sure, they're just fine for my pencil neck, but I don't want to asphyxiate anyone.  

On that cheerful note, here's something else that's in bloom: tiger lilies!  



I took the first pic a year ago and the second one just this week.  Quite a transformation, huh?  I can't take credit for it, though.  That honor goes to the husband and his amazingly green thumb.  

That's us, just a couple of zany zookeepers: him of the plants and me of the rants . . . and the clothes that go so well with them.      

2 comments:

Dressed With Soul said...

Love the blooming tiger lillies and that chockers are back, too! And as usual the outfit combinations are really stunning <3
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Samantha said...

Cute outfit, as always! I love chokers. Very 90's and yes you make an excellent point about them tracing all the way back to the Victorian days! I've seen lots of photos of saloon girls wearing them and I've always thought they looked so beautiful and stylish. Those flowers are amazingly vibrant! Gorgeous!