Monday, September 25, 2017

Moving to the Country: Good-bye, Brigantine



Tourist Trap Charm Necklace

Top: Macy's
Shorts: ELLE, Kohl's
Flip flops: So, Kohl's
Bag: Betsy Johnson, Macy's,
Sunglasses: Michaels
Barrettes: The Tote Trove

It's finally happened.  The husband and I bought a house -- and it's on the mainland.  Which means good-bye, Brigantine.  So I thought I'd commemorate the occasion with a little Presidents of the United States-and-Elton John mashup.  And, of course, a new Betsey Johnson handbag.  'Cause there are peaches a-plenty in the country (even if home is now kinda sorta a suburb), and Brigantine is equal parts peaceful and tempestuous.  Or at least its weather is, just like Marilyn/Norma Jean.

I also decided to make myself a souvenir send-off necklace using -- what else? -- key chains from the corner beach shop.  It's funny.  At a time when I was supposed to be getting rid of stuff, I found myself shopping even more, racking up shoes, tees, and cold shoulder dresses as if I were moving to Mars instead of a few towns over.  But the act of acquiring made me feel more armed for the journey ahead.  I guess it's like Cat Stevens sings in "Wild World":

"But if you want to leave, take good care
Hope you have a lot of nice things to wear"

You said (sang) it, Cat.  New clothes have a way of making life's transitions somehow smoother.

At first, I wasn't too sentimental about leaving the island.  Not being able to walk to stores, restaurants, and, of course, the beach would take some getting used to.  But I was too wrapped up in packing and jumping through mortgage hoops to over-think it.  Besides, I was looking ahead, more than eager to vacate a shoe box-sized rental that smelled as mildewy as King Triton's halitosis (maybe that, not Prince Eric, was why Ariel lobbied so hard for legs).  The move had been a long time in coming, and the new casa was roomier, more private, and best of all -- ours.  Also, it was vintage (if you can say that about a building), and I'd always wanted to live in a charming old (albeit restored -- let's not get crazy, now) house.  You know.  Something with more character than cul-de-sac.

So, I was all set to pull up stakes, no looking back.  Then I went to Acme to pick up a few last-minute things and started crying in the cereal aisle.  It suddenly hit me that it'd be the last time I'd ever go there, at least as a resident.  And although I always said it was creepy and overpriced and that the chicken was one step away from salmonella, the realization made me sad.  Partly because it reminded me of when the husband and I were first starting out nine years ago and we'd run to the store for something easy to throw together instead of a week's worth of groceries for grown-up meals.  Partly because there's something bittersweet about something being over, even when you know it's time to move on.  Kind of like the last episode of "Friends" (which also, by the way, made me get weepy).  I could come back to the island any time to walk the beach or eat at The Crab Shack.  But, like watching reruns of the Central Perk gang, which I can do any time, it wouldn't be the same.

Then, this past Friday, on the first day of fall, the husband and I signed on the dotted line(s) and officially became homeowners.  Which was exciting and scary and wonderful and made me realize that we were exactly where we were supposed to be.  And that was before I even started filling my spare room-slash-closet.

So.  If you don't hear from me in a while, then it's because I'm buried in boxes or fighting with Comcast or embellishing an old-timey mirror.  But that only means that bigger, better adventures and all things Tote Trove are just a few weeks away.

Until then, here's the best of Brigantine in pictures.




























5 comments:

Tijana said...

beautiful post dear :)
Kisses :)

http://itsmetijana.blogspot.rs/

Samantha said...

Those photos of Brigantine are a dream. I love the new Betsey Johnson bag! That's awesome that you made a souvenir send-off necklace - how creative is that? I love your fresh ideas! Change and moving forward definitely has its sentimental side (your story of crying in the cereal aisle was so touching)...I wish you the best in the weeks to come during your move! I hope it all goes smoothly and you and your husband enjoy your new home. How exciting! Congratulations!

P.S. - I totally laughed at your King Triton comment!!!

Dressed With Soul said...

Congratulations! It is a very good thing to be a house owner - and due to my own experience I can say it is also a good thing to live on the country :) All the best for you in this context!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Jewel Divas Style said...

You always manage to score a great bargain Tote.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Saying goodbye is always sentimental no matter how much you are looking forward to new beginnings. Thanks for sharing all those fabulous photos of Brigantine (I've been there many times) . Congratulations on your new home, enjoy all your new things, and best of luck!