Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Rusted Root Coot: Million Dollar Stapler

The other night, I was watching Mad Money when I thought, hey, I know that craggy-faced ginger.  He's the stapler guy from Office Space!  For yes, none other than Stephen Root plays the holier-than-thou head honcho at the movie's main setting of the Federal Reserve.  It was a little weird seeing him as "the man" instead of as a basement-banished cog in the wheel.  Although not as weird as it could've been given that he's also Bill Hader's boss on Barry.  

Still, despite making such an impression on me, Root's character in Mad Money is minor.  The story is about his underlings, a trio of blue-collar female Reserve workers including ringleader Diane Keaton, single mom Queen Latifah, and free-spirited kook Katie Holmes. Sick of life screwing them over, they hatch a scheme to steal greenbacks so old they're marked for destruction.  You know.  Kind of like when Ron Livingston and friends use their programming prowess to try to skim some off the top in Office Space.

Almost, but not quite.  The women are far craftier.

That said, please enjoy this pic of my, not red, but pink polka-dot stapler adrift in a sea of Monopoly money.  I got it at Marshalls for less than ten dollars.  But to me, it'll always be priceless.

11 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, it's hard to find a good stapler. We were always left with the worst at the circ desk and patrons always complained. Some of the things I've seen... Naturally, the secretary keeps the good ones in her domain. It seems I recall that movie Mad Money. Truly memorable! Thanks to those girls! Being so clever.

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh my, it's like throwback Wednesday! Great post. Thanks so much for giving me a smile today. Love it..and the stapler too!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

This was a delight to read. I am vaguely remembering this fellow. Thanks for mentioning him. I think we have MAD MONEY at the library. I might have to check it out.

Carefully Listening said...

Oh, you do know some good movies! You are the clever one. And finding a pink polka-dot stapler..now that is priceless!

all types recepies and desert said...

Great post

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I haven't seen Mad Money but judging from the cast, I'd should look into it. Now Marshalls is another thing. One of my favorite places for all kind of wonderful finds.

Kathy Leonia said...

very interesting post you wrote:)

Evi Erlinda said...

What a cute stapler!
I too, often get unique things from Marshals 😊

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

I didn't watch that movie. I need to check it. Thank you for recommendation.

www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

Samantha said...

That is the cutest stapler ever!! I love the tie-in with the character in Office Space, to boot! It looks super cool in the sea of Monopoly money, and ties in with your description of the plot in Mad Money. Well done!

Jewel Divas Style said...

Every time I hear, or read, an American using the word root I have to snigger. It means something oh so dirty here in Aus.