Monday, July 27, 2009

Tales from the Trove - Smithville Mayfest and Medford Handmade Faire





I've been busy this spring and summer, dipping my toe into the wild world of craft shows. It was more work than I ever imagined, and I couldn't have done it without the help (not to mention the upper arm strength!) of my boyfriend. But it was worth it, and so much fun! It's interesting to get instant feedback, good or bad, from shoppers, especially when you're used to waiting for it on the Web. (I don't know about you, but I've definitely been guilty of stalking my own sites, plaguing myself with questions like, "How many Etsy hearts should I have by now?" and "How much tweeting is too much?") The most rewarding craft show feedback is when someone exclaims, "That is the most perfect bag/necklace/bracelet/skirt purse for my daughter/granddaughter/niece/sister!" The most stressful is probably when kids ask, "Mom, can I have it? Can I have it? Can I have it?" as you sink lower in your chair and try to avert your eyes. (I mean no disrespect to craft fair-going children or their parents, as they are some of my best customers! This experience is simply part of the adventure.) That having been said, here are some shots of The Tote Trove tent at Mayfest (5/16-5/17, Smithville) and the Handemade Faire (July 17, Medford). I especially enjoyed the Handemade Faire. It was a great venue, and I had the chance to meet other NJ Etsians.

No comments: