Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Shoe Mania


Like many women (Imelda Marcos and Carrie Bradshaw to name two), I have a thing for shoes (pictured are some of my favorites). I look for pairs that are patterned, embellished, shockingly colorful, or just plain kitschy. Unlike Carrie, I try not to pay more than $30-$40 for each pair (bonus points for $20 or under!). I once owned about 300 pairs . . . but have since practiced a little restraint. As far as styles go, the higher the heel the better. (What about hammer toes? And bunions? Those are [hopefully] still 50 years away! Anyway, I banish these worries with the ever-useful mantra "fashion over function.") My accessories passion isn't limited to shoes. I am an equal-opportunity shopper who hunts for unusual accessories of all kinds. Once I spot something I like, I instantly begin building outfits around it in my head. It's not much different than the creative process of designing a necklace or sketching a tote bag. That's why I like to come up with fresh, offbeat outfits each day, even if I'm just running errands -- it's not about who I'll run into, but about the thrill of the creative challenge. It would be nice, though, if I really could design my own footwear, like Hilary Swank's character in P.S. I Love You. What woman wouldn't want to be struck by inspiration watching some black and white movie, then discover she has the know-how to craft shoes after working a string of soul-sucking jobs? If only it didn't happen at the expense of losing her husband . . . But I digress. And I didn't intend for this post to turn so serious! So I'll just say "yay shoes!" and call it a day (night). Sweet dreams!

No comments: