Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Something New and Sparkly: Showgirls and Cartoons


What, you may wonder, do these two seemingly incongruous things have in common? Not much (at least on the surface), except that they're both themes in my new barrette-slash-pin collection. Although my love affair with the felt necklace continues, I was suddenly struck by the desire to create something different. So, I had a regular field day (so much better than the kind involving dodgeball, don't you think?) gluing feathers, rhinestones, and tiny silk flowers to mini circles of felt and backing them with pins to create brooches worthy of any Vegas starlet. The felted fruit barrettes came next, serving as a playful, cartoonish counterpart. However, I must confess that the barrettes you see here fall short of my standards, at least on the underside, which I've mercifully neglected to photograph. (Apparently, glue and slotted barrette backs sans protective parchment paper don't mix.) So, they'll be making their home in my personal hair accessories box instead of on Etsy. Armed with what I learned from my mistakes, I plan to make a whole cornucopia of them to sell soon. Still, I hate when projects don't turn out the way they're supposed to, don't you? It's times like these that I remind myself that such missteps are just part of the creative process and nothing to get in a snit about. Although if the bf read this, he'd give me a look, as I often do get into a tantrum-infused snit upon such occasions. Still, admitting as much is the first step, right?

No comments: