Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Blog Award and Some Random Things About Me


Michelle of Michelle's Charm World was kind enough to award me and a whole host of other bloggers the Kreativ Blogger Award (yes, that's the way it's spelled), an honor she herself recently received. Uninitiated in the world of blog awards, I was charmed, especially when I read that those recognized often share ten random facts about themselves. I was game, so here are mine:

1) I've never been stung by a bee.

2) Speaking of bees . . . When I was in the seventh grade, I won my elementary school's geography bee. This was a total fluke, as I was no geography buff. Afterwards I had to take a test to qualify for the state competition. I passed, which was an even bigger fluke (that test was hard!). No one else from my school had ever passed it before, and there was much hoopla, culminating in a surprise party complete with a sheet cake. At home, I plastered the walls with maps donated by my teacher and pestered my parents to quiz me from past geography bee question manuals. I didn't care about geography any more than I had before winning the bee, but people were counting on me, and I didn't want to disappoint. When I arrived at Rutgers New Brunswick on the big day, I was one of a handful of girls. I was wearing pink plastic loafers and a pink satin top. In my nervousness I chattered to the boy sitting next to me. He didn't respond. Then the competition began, and the tension heightened. Early on I missed a question about tea being China's main export (I think I said rice), much to the horror of my teacher, who had come to witness my anticipated triumph. I was toast. And that kid sitting next to me? He ended up winning! Not long after that, he won the national geography bee too, which was televised and hosted by Alex Trebek. I'd been sitting next to a genius, dithering on in my cotton candy getup while he thought the great thoughts of a future champion. I returned to school the next Monday mortified, the memory of the sheet cake haunting me.

To this day, no one else from my elementary school has passed that test, rendering my fluke a reluctant claim to fame.

3) It's been nearly three years since I've had my hair cut professionally. Partly because I hate making chitchat with hairdressers, partly because I'm lazy.

4) I once owned 300 pairs of shoes. Now I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 120.

5) My favorite color is blue (of the sky and electric, not standard crayon box, variety), even though all of my Tote Trove stuff is hot pink.

6) My favorite song is "Two Princes," by the Spin Doctors. Every time I hear it I think something good is going to happen to me. It hasn't yet, but I haven't lost hope.

7) I love books but hate libraries. They smell funny.

8) This week I made my 100th sale on Etsy.

9) I once forced myself to read Moby Dick because I thought it would be a good learning experience. It wasn't.

10) I always wanted to live at the beach, and now I do.

No comments: