Sunday, May 20, 2018

Who Lives in a Pineapple Amidst the Twee?



Painted Desert Necklace

Top: Jennifer Lopez Collection, Kohl's
Skirt: Candie's, Kohl's
Shoes: Christian Siriano for Payless
Bag: H&M
Sunglasses: Relic, Kohl's

Tote.  Trove.  Lad-y!  Or, maybe I should have asked, who lives in a Dutch colonial amidst the pineapples?  (SpongeBob and Patrick would understand; Squidward not so much).  Have I moved to Hawaii?  Or to an alternate universe with a tropical farm market run by cartoons?  If only.  No, I'm talking about plain old pedestrian knickknacks.  The husband and I decided to put one of the pineapple persuasion in every room of our house.  Out of all of them (and there are many), only these two are photogenic.  The other pineapples already hate them and are starving themselves with the hope that they'll be picked next time.



The door knocker was originally brass, but the husband painted it in vibrant shades of green, brown, and yellow.  He spent a lot of time getting the brown just right.  It turned out great, really popping against the red door.

Speaking of home decor, I recently saw a pillow (IRL or on Pinterest; I can't tell the difference anymore) that said "I'd rather have a passport full of stamps than a house full of stuff."  And I thought . . . nah, I'll take the stuff.  Partly because I hate packing and hotel duvets and tour buses with guides named Eugene.  Partly because I love stuff.  Buying stuff, collecting stuff, finding places to put stuff, wearing stuff, photographing stuff, pinning stuff, writing about stuff, looking at stuff.  You know how Oprah says, "I love bread!"?  Well, that's how I feel about stuff.  So, when I sat down this week to make some new stuff (and by stuff I of course mean necklaces), it made sense that it would involve pineapples (albeit tiny ones).  And also a cactus.

Good old P & P.  A pair of prickly pals, to be sure -- but more than that, friends to the end.  Kind of like SpongeBob and Patrick.

But not Squidward.  No one likes that dude.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Oh my!!! I'm loving everything going on here; first of all, that pineapple door knocker is the cutest thing, ever! The cactus and pineapple look so beautiful in the blue and pink pastel shade. You both are so creative! This is such a quirky touch of home decor and I love it. :) I like to travel via Pinterest but truthfully, not so much in real life, haha! I'm with you on the "stuff!"

Jewel Divas Style said...

Gotta love a good pineapple ornament

Dressed With Soul said...

I see you and your husband had a really cool idea - I like it, not only because I like pineapples :) Happy weekend!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com