Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Bridal Blues and Social Cues


June is for brides.  And brides are all about something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue.  Maybe that's because wearing blue is good luck for ladies.  That's something I just learned, by the way, from reading Practical MagicBut blue doesn't always deliver.  Which is also something I just learned, but from watching Pete Holmes's "Crashing."  In Season 1, newly divorced and struggling comedian Pete tells a "blue" joke (his words, not mine) in front of a live TV audience, saying something unseemly to Rachael Ray's mom.  He's immediately canned, destined to "crash" on yet another sofa.  Then again, maybe his misfortune is par for the course because 1) Pete's not a woman, and 2) being down and out is sort of his thing.  For instance, in the pilot, he catches his wife with another dude.  Named Leif.  Which isn't very lucky.  Despite what the pie filling says. 

But back to happily ever after.  Last Saturday, the husband and I went to his cousin's wedding.  It was at a lovely local historical site, which was rustic and old-timey, like something from an indie movie.  I especially liked the way they had lights strung under the pavilion.  For the occasion, I wore this (admittedly not old-timey) blue necklace:

Blue Boon Necklace

It started out (as so many things do) as a bargain buy Mudd bib from Kohl's.  I liked that it was clear and gold because it meant that when it came to embellishments, the sky was the limit.  So I thought,  sky blue it is, and jazzed it up with chains, charms, and crystals.  The day before the wedding, I test drove it with a blouse and jeans to make sure it could stand up to dancing.  Not that I danced in it then.  Although I did walk through Macy's at a pretty fast clip.  Which convinced me that it could survive the hand clap and shuffle that passes for me breaking it down.

Here are a couple of pics of the husband and me exploring the grounds before the ceremony:

 Loitering like a librarian at ye old bookbindery.

Bringing down the hammer at the forge.  Although I'm not sure if this is really a forge.  Whatever.  I like it.

It's always nice to go to a wedding, especially with someone you love.  The past and future melt into one, and nothing seems impossible.  Plus, there's cake.

So . . . time to add the bread lid to this divorce-slash-happy marriage sandwich.  Because apparently that's what this post has morphed into.  What would that sandwich taste like, anyway? Shrimp salad on rye?  (In case it isn't clear, I love shrimp but find rye disgusting.)  Rye, wheat, or otherwise, the piece of bread in question is "Social Cues," Cage the Elephant's new album.  The first single from it, "Ready to Let Go," it about lead singer Matt Schultz's divorce -- and yes, "blue" is in the lyrics.  Here's a snippet:

"Sun went down, sun went down over
Pompeii
On holy ground, our vows were broken
We met up, we broke bread
I was was blue your dress was red, ain't it
strange?
We both knew this day was coming."

It's poignant but beautiful (much more so set to music), the way all great songs should be.  And it isn't just about divorce.  It's about letting go of anything that has an unhealthy hold on you, even if -- especially if -- letting go of that something is hard.   

So, what am I trying to say with all this (in addition to parading a passel of bad puns)?  Appreciate what you've got.  Because sometimes it takes a super sad song (or in the case of Pete, a super sad sack) to remind you whom you should treasure.

Also, avoid guys named after foliage.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

What a pretty blue necklace you made!!! I like that you made it your own by adding different things. You and your husband both look great and I hope you enjoyed the wedding! The lyrics from "Ready to Let Go" are really deep, poetic, dark, yet beautiful! And letting go of something unhealthy is excellent life advice. (I laughed about the "Leif" part; I've only known one Leif, and he was from Norway. Never knew how to pronounce his name!!)