Thursday, October 17, 2019

Chore Bore No More, Good Times in Store

Ugh.  Grocery shopping.  I hope we don't get that chatty checker who always asks what's up with all that yogurt.

Ooh, what awesomely packaged dried fruit snacks . . . that I'll never eat.

Ugh, grocery shopping again.  I just inhaled a hot fudge sundae, so it's all about those heart healthy hint of salt Triscuits.

Yay!  Grocery shopping!  Slightly elevated cholesterol be damned; time to gorge on Oreos!  

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that most people don't like grocery shopping.  There are so many obstacles: lumbering, muttering, sputtering crowds; big ass displays of gravy-flavored potato chips; and "balance what you eat and do" stickers reminding you that you should be buying kale instead of Ben & Jerry's.  For me, the necessary evil of procuring foodstuffs lands somewhere between doing crunches and scrubbing the toilet.  But for the husband it's an adventure.  He loves to cook and loves to eat (I feel honor-bound to mention that he's nowhere near being a three hundred pounder) and never fails to marvel at what's new on the shelves.  Mug cakes?  Tiny bananas?  Stout-flavored cheese?  He's there.  When we first moved in together, I found these trips to be a trial.  We always went on Sunday, and I always wished I was sleeping or reading or watching TV.  Once and a while I'd go by myself after work.  Which seemed like a great solution because I was so much quicker -- until I'd get to the checkout and realize that I had to lug all that stuff, case of water and all, by my lonesome.  Then, somewhere along the line, I realized that stockpiling produce and, yes, empty carbs, as a twosome could be kind of  fun.  I stopped focusing on the downside and began seeing the aisles through the husband's eyes, bursting with flavor and possibility.  Not to be a cheese ball (although Herr's cheese balls are super tasty), but now I appreciate that our weekly pilgrimage isn't just about crossing something off the to-do list, but about doing everyday stuff together.  You know, going on that great big yet oh so ordinary date that is life.  Kind of like that Mallrat (not to be confused with the Kevin Smith movie) song:

"I just wanna get groceries
I'll pray that you wanna get close to me
I'll give it some, give it some, give it some time
But I think that we're supposed to be
And if you wanna get groceries
And if you wanna get close to me
Just gimme some, gimme some, gimme some sign
I think that we're supposed to be"

In other words, you haven't looked into someone's soul until you've seen them buy toilet paper.  Also, a plunger.

Somehow it all comes back to toilets.

4 comments:

Dressed With Soul said...

In love again with your looks! And I like grocery shopping. I do it only once a week but then I buy all the things I like and want to cook. Maybe I'm like your husband? But I prefer in each case fresh things and normally never buy any convenience food :)
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Tanza Erlambang said...

When I was kid, I love very much dried fruit snacks ….yummy.
You look so pretty in grocery store with sweet smile.

Have a wonderful day

Samantha said...

You certainly make grocery shopping look fun and glamorous with those fabulous outfits you wore!! I love them all and the photo of you next to the flower display is especially striking with all the colors. :) That's sweet that you and your husband turn grocery shopping into a fun activity - sounds like a true tale of true love to me! The Mallrat song is so fitting!

Jewel Divas Style said...

I get it. Grocery shopping sucks. Thank god for trolleys (shopping carts) that I can wheel around and take out to the car to unload. Thankfully, though, our supermarkets are in our local shopping centre (your mall) so it makes it easier to get everything done together at the one time.