Monday, October 14, 2019

Ice Cream Dream: A Case for Columbo/Columbus


One Columbus Day, many years ago, my parents and I went out for ice cream.  My dad drove to all our usual spots only to find each closed for the season.  He and my mom were flummoxed; why couldn't they get this treat of all treats when it was still so nice out?  "Um, because it's October?" I remember snarkily saying.  (Did I mention that I was in high school?  And obviously none too popular if I was spending my day off scouring South Jersey for dessert with my parents?)  They admitted defeat and we went to the mall, which at the time had a Kohr Brothers-slash-Rita's.  We all got pumpkin custard and agreed that it wasn't that great. 

Now would be a good time to make a bad joke about how the Kohr Brothers custard should have at least been Columbus, er, Columbo fro you, an offering last available at that same mall in the early '90s.  But instead I'll talk about my new ice cream purse charm.  It's LC Lauren Conrad, and I got it today at Kohl's for just $3.53.  Because to me, there's no better way to spend Columbus Day (or any holiday) than bargain shopping.  Nor is there any better ice cream than the kind that lasts forever. 

Or, at least until the mice get to it.

So, if you're a student, teacher, or some kind of government worker, here's hoping that your day off was delicious.  And also that the mice never find you or your favorite trinkets. 

1 comment:

Samantha said...

"And obviously none too popular if I was spending my day off scouring South Jersey for dessert with my parents?" LOL!!!! What a cute and funny memory of Columbus Day you have; also, I am loving that ice cream charm!