Thursday, November 28, 2019

All's a Riot on the Western Front . . .




. . . is a phrase that describes your average home on Thanksgiving.  Near-explosive Crock-Pots, feuding relatives, loser football teams, and rotting gourds (hey, it's happened) can conspire to create an atmosphere that's more Griswalds than Waltons.

That's why there's pie.

And for me, cowboy boots.  Something about this rustic, homespun footwear just says harvest.  So here I am wearing my favorite pair to do my prairie proud.  What's more, I upped the ante with these leather-look-but-felt barrettes, then threw in a faux cameo brooch for good measure.




If the barrettes represent the Native Americans, then the brooch is pure Puritan.  I know, I know; those vanguards of vanilla wouldn't be caught dead in something so gaudy.  But I couldn't very well make a buckle, and it is the kind of trinket that would be at home on the ruffly blouses of the Aldens' tea-sipping successors.  So, barrettes and brooches, battling it out . . .  No, that's wrong, too.  No violence here, just a joining of styles and peoples over a spread of mouthwatering carbs and one big, tasteless turkey.

It's all about the sides, my friends.  You can't spell gluttony without gluten.  Or either of them -- or Griswalds -- without a "g."

Which is important.  Because the Griswalds are more fun than the Waltons.

3 comments:

Dressed With Soul said...

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Germany like you do it in US but I'm convinced it is absolutely true what you wrote about these days! Love your look with the cowboy boots - as usual simply fantastic!
xx Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Samantha said...

What amazing outfits!! Bold, bright and fun; I'm really loving how you accessorized the prairie style dress with the choker and the necklace! You rock the best ensembles. :) The fringe barrettes are ultra fun and the cameo is such a sweet touch. I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving!

Jewel Divas Style said...

Gotta love a good pair of cowboy boots!