Saturday, August 15, 2020

Tree Trim? No, Slim. Her Flaws are Her Ornaments.


It only comes but once a year, the snowball tree in bloom is here!  Every August, I eagerly wait for this tree to explode into a wealth of white flowers.  I have the perfect view of it from my kitchen window, so it makes for a nice distraction while I'm scraping chicken fat off of Pyrex.  I love how wayward and crazy it is, its blossoms sticking up from its crown like metal spokes on a broken umbrella.  A landscaper would probably say that I should prune it, but taming its tresses seems like a crime.  As does choosing between a simile and personification to describe it.  Who says that a tree can't be like a damaged rain deterrent and have unruly hair?

One thing that did need taming was this outfit.  I started out photographing it in the usual way, but the top wouldn't flush with the skirt, and the belts made it even wonkier.  So I mixed it up and mussed it up and ended up liking what I saw!  Sometimes taming the shrew means cooking a stew, a super juicy one that splashes the cabinets.       


Pastel Princess Necklace

Sugar Rush Gush Barrettes

Top: Wet Seal
Skirt: Amazon
Shoes: B.A.I.T., Zulily
Bag: Sugar Thrillz, Dolls Kill
Blue belt: Belt is Cool, Amazon
Bow belt: Candie's, Kohl's
Pink bangle: Don't Ask, Zulily
Purple bangle: Don't Ask, Zulily
Yellow bangle: Later Operator, Etsy
Mint bangle: Decree, JCPenney
Lime bracelet: Cloud Nine
Sunglasses: Mudd, Kohl's

Still, the necklace and barrettes that I made to go with it are simple.  Kind of like the coarse, crusty bread that you'd serve with your beef bourguignon.  Sometimes such accessories -- and indeed, such breads -- are the anchor in a broth of chaos.   

See, somehow, it all circles back to the kitchen and its magic, mirror-like window.  

Because when you live in quarantine, glimpsing a blue sky makes it seem all the bluer.  

3 comments:

Samantha said...

What a glorious tree!! I love it. You're so right; it definitely looks great as it is and trimming it would seem like a crime. You're lucky to have that view out your kitchen window! I'm loving the pastels of your outfit; those barrettes are darling! I immediately recognized your shoes as BAIT footwear - so cute! Also, "Because when you live in quarantine, glimpsing a blue sky makes it seem all the bluer." So true!

Dressed With Soul said...

The tree is a dream! You are blessed that you can see this tree from your kitchen window! And I think finally you photographed the look perfectly - and I like the look as well as the necklace!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sometimes, you just gotta throw an outfit together and see what comes out of it.