Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Do Not Disturb, Kick Crime to the Curb: All's Well That Ends Well in the Gran Scheme of Things


For our latest book club pick, my sister chose Nita Prose's The Mystery Guest.  It's the follow-up to Prose's The Maid, the heartbreaking yet heartwarming story of an unusual maid who must dust her way out of a murder accusation.  You may recall that I enjoyed The Maid but sometimes found it painful to read.  So I wasn't sure what to expect from The Mystery Guest.

This time, the murder victim is mystery author J. D. Grimthorpe.  Once again, Molly is a suspect -- as is her protégé, the equally awkward Lily.  Also as before, Molly relies on her late Gran's wit and wisdom to make her way out of the mess.  Indeed, Prose alternates between the present and the past, delving deeper into Molly's childhood to help us understand who she is.  And although there are more than a few sad memories, I wasn't as disturbed as I was when reading the first book.  I think it's because I feel that these details, disconcerting though they may be, ultimately lead to light instead of darkness.  

That said, the plot has some intriguing twists, the least significant of which is whodunit.  Because as with The Maid, the point of The Mystery Guest isn't to solve the murder so much as it is to chart Molly's growth.  As Gran (and John Lennon) always said:  

"Everything will be okay in the end.  If it's not okay, it's not the end." 

And it's certainly not the end for Molly.  Because Prose has at least two more maid books coming out. 😏

5 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, she is a hit at our library. So many waiting to read her books. Good to know the storyline. Yes, there might be a TV series before we know it. Thanks so much for the clever review and that delightful Lennon quote!💙🌈☀️❤️🪷 We seem to be having more storms, but not nearly as bad..even some cool fall days..which is usually unheard of this time of year. I can't remember when September felt like September anymore, actually. I did go a little Barbie crazy for my birthday..since I got myself a few Surf Kens to make my Slim Ken and the Boyband Ken into MTM Kens. And finally, a new body for my favorite black Ken. And I am still getting used to my new phone and how I have to do so many 2 ..too many password varifications between my laptop and my phone now. Always something to drive me a little mad. Oh, and I did get my RSV vaccine yesterday. It does hurt a tiny bit. ☀️☀️☀️☀️🌈🌈🌈🌈☀️☀️☀️☀️Of course, I am still having some fun with Maddie and Boone and all the others..Izzy and Cowan, Mercer and Cade..and of course, Melissa meets someone new, too. Meanwhile, I am doing my best not to lose touch with some of my other favorites. And I haven't been back to the writer's group. Oh well...Thanks again for reading and your comments. I hope you guys are doing well this summer.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So great to see this review. Its amazing the audience that loves her work from out library. From the very old to even high school students. Recently, I had a pair who were a bit devastated to find out it wasn't in. It's nice to see a couple who have their own book club even if they are sharing the book. 😊☀️😊☀️💕Oh, I came to one storyline from what I had noticed from my Saturdays at the Library. Although, I don't know it will go, but of course, I have several different kinds of stories going, too. & of course, I try to write from things that have been happening around here, too. Wishing you a beautiful August. All the best to your family and your creativity!

Ivy's Closet said...

This is the author this year. Many can't wait for more from her but as of yet, I have tried her series. She is right up there with Sara Maas' fantasies..but those a bigger books and I know I wouldn't have time to get through those. And I am not really a fantasy reader. Thanks so much for your insight!🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷🪷❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️💙💙💙💙💙💙 In spite of not having a writing partner, I have done my best to go on with Wade and Ren. And of course, I love the quirkiness of it and who they meet in the bookstore. But it takes a lot of getting used to for Wade because he's rather sheltered and Ren seems to have a lot more boyfriends than maybe she even knew.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It's good that you have time to read with a new little one! The books sounds intriguing - I like your quote at the end! Finally, after the heat wave and then rainy week, I spent a beautiful day at the Jersey Shore yesterday- not far from the Brigantine Area.

Samantha said...

What a relief that this one wasn't as disturbing as the first one you read!! I think it's so cool that you're part of a book club, because I always thought it sounds like fun. "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - That's such a refreshing quote! Cheers to more maid books to come, and more book club picks to read! 📖💕