Monday, August 29, 2011

Something New and Sparkly: Strawberry Storm




Crazy for Kawaii I Heart Strawberries Bib Necklace

Caftan: Mudd, Kohl's
Skirt: Bisou Bisou, JCPenney
Bag: Journeys
Shoes: Madden Girl, DSW

Six necklaces, one caftan, and a boatload of toys make up my new six-part Crazy for Kawaii bib neckpiece collection. What's that you say? A six-parter? Yep. I've decided to go easy on myself (and on you) and blog about these one at a time.

So, where did I find that realistic-looking strawberry plopped in the middle of this beautiful mess? Michaels. I was there Friday afternoon stocking up on glue and wire while everyone else was scouring the superstores for water and batteries in preparation for Hurricane Irene. (Not that I'm totally frivolous. I didn't need to hunt down anything crucial because I'd been evacuated from Brigantine and was staying with my parents.) I spent Saturday afternoon and evening happily holed up in the basement making Crazy for Kawaii bibs. Well, at least until that first tornado watch came exploding onto the TV. That was enough to make me drop my glue bottle and dive under my craft table. Thankfully, the twister, and for that matter, the hurricane, were no shows. I'm not ashamed to admit that when I finally emerged from the cellar my arms were full of my creations to stow upstairs where flooding was unlikely.

But let's not dwell on the serious stuff. Let's talk about caftans! I found the one pictured here at Kohl's for a mere eleven dollars. I figured it was a good staple piece (in a trendy new shape!) and was delighted to use it as the anchor of this spread. Once I saw how striking all those colorful thing-a-ma-bobs were against the black backdrop I knew I couldn't subject my other collage-like collars to prints that'd obscure them.

No comments: