Friday, January 29, 2010

Time for Seafood Pizza!




Last night I tried a recipe from Make it Yourself Pizzas: Traditional and Contemporary Recipes for the Perfect Pizza, which was a birthday gift from my sister. Well, maybe "experimented with" is more accurate than "tried" because I changed every other thing in the recipe! But what's the point of cooking if you can't make it your own, right? Anyway, here's the recipe, complete with my variations:

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing (Did not use this.)
Pizza dough (Skipped this in favor of the far more forgiving Boboli.)
Flour, for dusting (Nope again.)
14 oz canned chopped tomatoes (Finally, we got one!)
7 oz canned tuna, drained (And . . . we're back where we were. I substituted lump crab meat because I think tuna is gross.)
1 1/4 cups cooked peeled shrimp
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (Had to go with jarred here; chopping parsley just isn't part of what I do.)
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano (Ditto.)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped (Ditto.)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush a cookie sheet with oil. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured counter to a 10-inch round. Place on the cookie sheet and push up the edge a little. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes. (Now you probably understand why I shortcut it over to the Boboli.) Spoon the tomatoes evenly over the base almost to the edge. Flake the tuna (or crab meat) and spread it over the tomatoes, then arrange the shrimp on top. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Combine the parsley, oregano, garlic, and olive oil and drizzle the mixture over the pizza. Bake for 20 minutes (10 if you're not using raw dough), until the edge is crisp and golden.

Even with all my amendments, the results were tasty despite the crust being a tad bit soggy. But that was my fault for not preheating the crust. Still, you can never go wrong with shrimp and crab. The bf and I enjoyed the leftovers tonight (not of the pizza; we gobbled all of that up yesterday. Just the seafood. Living up to my extravagant nature, I bought a whopping two pounds total.)

2 comments:

ZANAH said...

That pizza is making me hungry!! :) Mon Mode Blog

The Tote Trove said...

He he. It was tasty!