Saturday, April 23, 2011

Book Report: Happy Ever After by Nora Roberts


' "Women should all move to Amazonia, or at least vacation there four times a year."

"Amazonia?"

"It's the girl world in my head, where I go when I'm annoyed with Carter, or just men in general. There are five shoe stores per capita, nothing has any calories, and all the books and movies end happy ever after."

"I like Amazonia. When do we leave?" ' (Roberts 288)

That's a little snippet from Happy Ever After, the Nora Roberts book I just read. I posted it because I like it (what woman wouldn't like a place with five shoe stores per capita?), and because Amazonia itself sounds like every Nora Roberts book I've ever read. There's always a diamond-in-the-rough man, plenty of money for new shoes, and, of course, a proposal. Happy Ever After offers up a bonus in the form of a diamond-in-the-rough-man who earns his shine (in part) by buying his lady love a pair of designer shoes. If that's not the stuff of fairy tales, then I don't know what is.

I debated the wisdom of admitting that I read romance novels to all of cyberspace. But then I remembered that The Tote Trove has no shame. I'm going to go ahead and buy the other three books in the Bride Quartet series (yes, that's what it's really called). The series is about four friends who run a wedding planning business, a job that seems pretty stressful and unforgiving to me. But then, I'm the sort who breaks out in hives at the thought of drafting seating charts and taste-testing chicken and vegetable lasagna for my own wedding some day.

No comments: