Sunday, April 15, 2018

In the Skimmer's Circle With Fruit and Fiber: Good for the Body, Good for the Bowl

From top left, clockwise: Charles Albert, A.C. Moore; Nine West, Marshalls; City Streets, JCPenney; Cherish, Zulily; Bella Marie, Zulily; Katy Perry, Zulily; City Streets, JCPenney; A New Day, Target

The cusp of sandal season is a weird time to extol the virtues of closed-toe flats.  (It's also a weird time for a potty pun, but then, what isn't?)  I don't know about you, but my feet are far from beach ready.  Partly from all the high heels I wear, which are notoriously hard on the tootsies.  As Christian Dior says on the March page of my shoe calendar, "high heels are painful pleasure."  One of these days, I'll fire up the old foot bath and show those callouses who's boss.  But in the meantime, coverage is key.  So I'll keep my secret safe with all the flats I've amassed since last fall.  Truth be told, I wasn't too psyched about the navy and burgundy crushed velvet ballerinas when I first bought them (such deep, dark colors, such an unfortunate comeback of a bad '90s trend).  But I ended up wearing them a lot, as they're super comfy and go with everything.  The Katy Perrys are my favorite, but I haven't even worn them yet (although to be fair, I only got them last month).  I love the little seamstress's tomato on the toe, complete with colorful straight pins.

Speaking of which (a tomato is a fruit, isn't it?), on to the fruit and fiber.  Sometimes friend, sometimes foe, they keep you fab and help you go.  So, they're not just a cereal, but a way of life.  And also, it seems, a handbag.  I had such a good time embellishing these canvas and burlap wristlets with patches and rhinestones.  And why not?  They feature all of my favorite things: fruit, rainbows, cacti, sweets, and red lips, a veritable crafters' cornucopia of quirky cute kitsch.


Punchy Produce Wristlet 


And now, for another one of my favorite things, the compostest with the mostest -- daffodils!  These little trumpeters are tops in the garden -- or in this case, parking lot -- with me.  


Ah, spring things, how I love thee.  Two thousand crushes worth indeed.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Ohhhh those lovely shoes (the lavender ones with the pink roses are my favorite!!) The wristlets you made are soooooo cute and you did an amazing job! I think the Tasty Treats one is my favorite (that ring pop is the cherry on top) but it's hard to choose! Gorgeous daffodils. :)

Dressed With Soul said...

This time that is necessary until you can show your feet with sandals ... I know what you mean :) But your flats collection is very beautiful and no wonder that you love these flowers in the garden!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com