Sunday, February 24, 2019

Don't Fret, Pet: Just Sit Back and Savor Your Ice Cream



Black tee: Merona, Target
Tank: Bisou Bisou, J. C. Penney's
Skirt (a dress!): Zulily
Shoes: Worthington, J. C. Penney's
Bag: Princess Vera, Kohl's

One of the reasons I love to craft is that it's therapeutic.  Which I don't think is a secret, because I weave some version of this theme into most of my posts.  I find it freeing to work with my hands, to know that at the end of my labors I'll have something tangible that I -- or maybe even someone else -- will love.  The fact that that something is the product of my own whim is always satisfying.  It reminds me that I'm putting the best of me out into the world and that it's this best that makes my world brighter.        

So, I thought I'd blog about the power of looking on the bright side.  And why not start with pet peeves -- those peeves that you feed, and in feeding, of course, keep alive.  We all have things that annoy us.  Maybe even enrage us.  But hanging on to gripes, feuds, and ill will of any kind is a sure-fire way to get an ulcer.  I didn't always believe this.  There was a time when I thought that hanging on to the bad stuff meant that I was in control, that mulling it over again and again would help me figure it out.  But then, after one bump in the road too many, I realized that the only way to get behind something was to put it behind me.  Because most stuff is out of our control anyway and not worth worrying about.  I had to learn that relaxing didn't mean giving up, but instead choosing to enjoy life.  Which wasn't easy.  Because to me, it seemed that everyone and her brother seemed to want a say in what I was doing.  I'd go to the dentist, and they'd tell me to floss more.  I'd go to the hairdresser, and they'd say that I had too many split ends.  These are trivial examples, but they show how even the tiniest stresses once unnerved me.  After a while, it felt like my whole life was one giant report card that wasn't up to snuff.  Which was exhausting because here's the thing that they don't tell you when you're a straight-A student (as I was at one point in my life).  It never ends.  Not until the day you speak up and say, "Enough!" and live life the way you want to.  Maybe you want to travel the world or train elephants or open up an ice cream shop.  Whatever it is, it won't be easy.  Some people in your life won't like it (your dentist, for one, especially if you go with the ice cream) and will want you to keep striving for As.  But those are usually not people you want around anyway.  And whatever obstacles you face, pursuing your dream is always worth it.  Even if your dream is just to sit on the couch and watch sitcoms.  Because once you stop caring about grades -- which is a fancy way of saying that once you stop caring about what people think -- your life becomes one long vacation.  Not the kind where you burn in the sun, but the kind where you do the things that make you smile.      

I don't want to train elephants, just make them into accessories (but not, to be clear, in an illegal, poached ivory way).  That's my dream.  Not to mention the only pet I want in my house.  Which isn't merely a metaphor.  A slobbery mutt that licks its butt, then you?  No thanks.  I'd rather have it out with the dentist.

Writing this post was cathartic for me.  But I also hope that it finds its way to someone who needs it and that it helps her (or him) too.

Then again, it's also possible that I offended dog lovers.  

Good thing I won't worry about it.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

This post is SUPERB. I can't even express how much I love your message here! "After a while, it felt like my whole life was one giant report card that wasn't up to snuff." You said it best!!! That's totally how I felt throughout my life until, like you, I finally said "Enough!" And just live the way you want to! :) It really does become one long vacation once you embrace yourself and enjoy life going at your own pace. I love your lip print tank top and the pattern mixing! Stunning necklace, too (I laughed at your clarification about not poaching ivory, haha!) Thank you again for such an inspiring message!

Dressed With Soul said...

I agree, your post is really good! Thanks for sharing your message and yes, crafting IS therapeutic! And I can't stop watching your wonderful tanktop as far as the very beautiful necklace!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Tanza Erlambang said...

It is true that crafting is one of the best therapeutics.
have a great day

amely rose said...

The checked skirt is so cool and eyecatchy.
I adore the eyecathcy colorcombination again. So playful my dear.

take a look at my BLOG and my INSTAGRAM

Jewel Divas Style said...

Yes, at the end of the day you need to stop worrying about what everyone else is thinking. Although the dentist telling anyone to floss more should just roll off the back like water off a ducks. I don't see trivial things like that as anything to worry about. And I've certainly had my fair share of do-gooders in my life the last five years especially. They'd rather dictate instead of help.

I'd say the saying, 'don't sweat the small stuff' is relevant here.

Jewel Divas Style said...

Awesome necklace, by the way!