Friday, February 21, 2020

Cirque du Sol-Play







When I was a kid, I thought that it would be fun to be a trapeze artist.  I think it was because of the spangly costumes.  Of course, I also thought that it would be fun to go hang gliding, and the attire for that doesn't get much more avant garde than REI.  So I guess what I really wanted was to take to the skies like the freest of birds.  (I do really, really like parrots.)  But then Hart (Leonard Staab) from my favorite soap, "The Guiding Light," had a hang gliding accident and became paralyzed.  And I thought that I would be better off sticking to more earthly pursuits.

These days, I quench my thirst for big top thrills with fanciful felt accessories (and yes, the most outlandish clothes that Kohl's has to offer), namely this here Fabulous Felt Autumn Clown Barrette, which I'm wearing above as a brooch. 


You may remember it from my ground-breaking and critically acclaimed post Send in the Gowns: Three Ring Sumo Circus.  It's funny to think of a clown as being cute instead of creepy.  I'm looking at you, It.  And also Jack Handey, who said, "To me, clowns aren't funny.  In fact, they're kinda scary.  I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad."  Even the clown in this sign for a local party supply store looks like he might go on a rampage. 


Thankfully, not everyone is fearful of Bozo.  I'm happy to report that I sold the Fabulous Felt Spring Clown Barrette to a loyal customer in California.  It gives me a sense of satisfaction -- and amusement! -- to know that there's someone else out there rocking it ringmaster style.

It's also nice to know that I can do my own stunts -- no trapeze required.

4 comments:

Kinga K. said...

Great photos<3

Tanza Erlambang said...

love the color of your bike...pretty

Samantha said...

You look so beautiful!! Gosh, the colors and patterns of your outfits are amazing. You are a ray of sunshine! I'm glad the clown barrette found itself a good home in California. I agree that clowns tend to be on the creepy side rather than cute. But your barrette broke the clown stereotype and made it to cute level! I'm happy to hear you stuck to more earthly pursuits. ;)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Nice collections of bracelets and necklaces. When putting them, put them on all the way up, I say.

Speaking of clowns, I read the book "Imaginary Friend" yesterday and it has a scene where a clown shoots himself in the head in front of kids in a Chuck E. Cheese.

Hell of a book, that one. Took ten hours or so to read.