Friday, February 14, 2020

V is for Vendetta . . . and Also Valentine's Day


Hopefully, you're not in a vendetta with your special someone.  Hopefully, you're headed out for a night on the town or, if that's not your thing, then cozying up for a quiet night in.  Even if you're not coupled up, I wish you no Hatfield vs. McCoy-style feuds whatsoever.  Because V-Day should come with all the peace of devouring chocolate on a cloud of pink couch or comforter.  (Not that your couch or bed can't be blue or green or gray.  But I'm trying to paint a picture here.)  That said, I had to kiss a real frog of a chore before tearing into my own treats today.  This afternoon, the husband and I went to the dermatologist for our annual skin scans.  Because nothing says romance like disrobing in front of strangers.  Not that we have any real epidermis issues; we go because it's always good to be one step ahead of Mad Man Melanoma.

Thankfully, our Valentine's Day isn't all lab coats and copays (partly because we don't have a copay, but rather a deductible).  We're going out to dinner later this weekend, which is a long one courtesy of those wig heads Washington and Lincoln.  (Yes, I know only Washington had a wig.  But Lincoln had that beard, which was pretty gnarly and has to count for something.)  Afterwards, I'm looking forward to a choice chocolate chaser.  Because Valentine's Day is the candy holiday.  Wait, what's that you say?  The candy holiday is Halloween?  Or, on a good year, even Easter?  Well . . . maybe.  If you're into Baby Ruths and bipedal bunnies.  But only V-Day has pink and red foil wrappers and cherry and strawberry filling and heart-shaped Russell Stover boxes full of Forrest Gump flavors.

Because that's life in a (hazel) nutshell: diving in without checking the cheat sheet.  Or the nutrition facts.  Nutrition facts are the worst, the Flag Day of facts.  Nothing against flags.  But they don't give you gifts or sugar or a day off.

So, have a happy un-Flag Day.  May you do -- and eat -- all the things that you heart.  And all the things that heart you.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

I hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day weekend and enjoy your chocolate chaser!! Love the cupcake card - soooo cute. I hope the skin scans went well for you both, by the way! It's a happy perk that it turned out to be a 3 day weekend courtesy of the "wig heads" (LOL!). Valentine's Day truly is unique with its heart-shaped candy boxes and pink/red wrappers...I love it too!

Dressed With Soul said...

Fortunately no vendettas in my life :) But neither any VD activities as in our generation it is not usual to celebrate this day in Bavaria ...
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

sonia // daring coco said...

I kind of love your "tradition" of visiting the skin doctor on the 14th. It has the potential to be so much more, perhaps a walk through town after your appointment. Or some take out at a near-by park. I sound strange I know, but I kind of like how this could be the basis of something else for V-Day. It feels very unique to me. Coming from someone who is single though, so never mind my musings.

Sxx
daringcoco.com

Dressed With Soul said...

Have a happy weekend!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
www.dressedwithsoul.com

Kinga K. said...

Candies are nice :D

Jewel Divas Style said...

Was alone, as usual, on Valentines. Although Henry Cavill made my day, and 11 million others's days when he posted a pic of his dog Kal with a rose and renamed the day Kalentine's Day.