Saturday, September 19, 2020

Back to Mule Cool

 

Notice I didn't say "back to school" or "Moscow mule" or even that other, unmentionable kind of mule.  Because no one wants to go back to school (especially this year!), and Moscow mules are just plain yucky.  But "cool" is the perfect adjective to describe these candy-colored Katy Perry kicks.  The broken-hearted valentine of a handbag is also pretty badass.  I amassed these four scores over the course of several flash sales on the Katy Perry Collections site, and it was a heel of a good time.  $100 accessories for $30 each?  Yes, please!   

Speaking of school (as we were, sort of) and California grrls, I just read a book about a Golden State mother-and-daughter duo embarking upon an East Coast college tour.  I Was Told It Would Get Easier, by Abbi Waxman, is as buoyant and biting as Waxman's other works (remember The Bookish Life of Nina Hill?).  Just the way a feel-good yet satiric and introspective novel should be.


Mama bear Jessica and angst-ridden Emily don't always . . . get along.  Jessica's a workaholic lawyer, and Emily is sick and tired of being asked what she's majoring in.  What's more, each is also hiding a secret.  Led by an overzealous millennial intent on curating campus-bound camaraderie, Jessica and Emily battle criminally competitive parents, old and new loves, and even relatives as they ponder the East Coast's answer to higher education, raising the question: Will this trip be just what the guidance counselor ordered? 

Only Abbi and I know.  And we're not telling.

That said, here's a part I like that has nothing to do with anything I just talked about:

Jessica on the Ford's Theatre Museum gift shop:

"I love a good museum gift shop; it makes it possible to both spend money and feel erudite.  Sure, some people would argue that museums are for education and inspiration, not the purchasing of assassination-themed merchandise.  But they would be wrong." (93)

Jessica, I couldn't agree with you more.  It's always smart to take advantage of shopping.

Which, convenience of conveniences, brings us back full circle to those mules.

3 comments:

Dorey ♥ said...

I really like the title of the book and I would like to read it!
greetings! :)
http://dorey-doorey.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

The book cover is so cute; I love those digitally illustrated style covers! The quote makes me want to visit a museum gift shop. 😃 Those shoes are amazing; I love the clear heels! The purse is adorable and reminds me of Valentine's Day. ❤️

Jewel Divas Style said...

Ah, hullo! Awesome shoes in awesome colours. I wish it was as easy as that for me to find sandals/slip ons.