Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Foundations in Fun: Cosmetic Aesthetic


Caboodle: Kohl's; Makeup brushes: Walgreens; Hairbrush: Wet Brush, Zulily; Compact: Betsey Johnson, Macy's




When I was trying to decide how to start this post, I came up with three first paragraphs:


First First Paragraph

"Wake Up and Make Up," or so say all those cheeky cosmetics bags.  (Get it?  Cheeky?  As in blush and cleverness?  Ok, I'll stop.)  Also, "My Face is in Here," or even the contradictory, "I Woke up This Way."  Why shouldn't these compact carryalls spout sassy one-liners?  Wordplay is fun, and so is makeup!  Makeup means getting to have Halloween every day or even just enjoying the treat that is cherry berry banana lip gloss.  And even more captivating than the cosmetics themselves are the super cute cases they come in.  

Second First Paragraph

When I think of makeup and fun, I think of the '80s, which means that I think of Sweet Secrets.  Remember those, the little toys with the play makeup inside?  I had two that I recall, 1) a turquoise dog with a huge red rhinestone heart as its belly, and 2) a butterfly that was also a guitar that I got at the grand opening at the mall.  Oddly enough, I don't remember what makeup they were so earnestly guarding.  Even if I do remember blogging about the butterfly guitar before.

Third First Paragraph

The theater and over-the-topness of these outfits make me think of the best that face goop has to offer.  And by goop, I don't mean GOOP, but the paraben-packed products at your corner drug store.  Long live Cover Girl.  And Revlon.  But for some reason, not L'Oreal.
     

Now here we are at the end of the post, and I still can't decide how to start.  So instead I'll concentrate on the ending:


I guess the takeaway is that it's not always what's on the inside that counts.

That and that good things come in mall packages.


Huh.  Now that I've typed it, I see that the ending only really applies to the second first paragraph, what with the what's-on-the-inside and mall references.  So, it looks like we have a winner!  Sweet Secrets, I'm sending you on an all-expense paid trip to The Tote Trove craft room, where you'll live forever in a paradise of Michaels merchandise and sitcom reruns.

Well, you will if I find you on eBay.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Ahhh, so many beautiful colors! I love the orange with the black and white skirt, the colorful snapshot of your makeup tools, the stunning rainbow skirt, candy barrette and the way your handbag matches your Coke shirt so perfectly! You're the queen of coordinating. You're right; the '80s was definitely a time of makeup fun (not to mention, awesome outfits!)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Ah, Caboodles. I'll be getting a yellow one of those as well but with a different catch. And LOVE the rainbow skirt!