Sunday, January 17, 2021

Breaking the Gold Mold: 99 Red Birthday Balloons


I've blogged about Betty White a lot over the years.  But today is the icon's -- wait for it -- ninety-ninth birthday!!!  So, I'd be remiss in letting her special day pass without paying a proper tribute.  By all accounts (a.k.a blurbs I've read on the Internet), Ms. White is as sharp as ever, playing word games with her friends while in quarantine.  May we all be so lucky!  That said, I'm proud to pull out this golden oldie of a Betty Brooch that I made from a tee shirt tag ten years ago.  Whoever designed it came up with the crazy cute cartoon; all I did was brush on a few sparkles.  


I also have this handy dandy new book, Golden Rules: Wit and Wisdom of The Golden Girls, which my sister gave me for Christmas.  It features fun illustrations of all four ladies accompanied by fan favorite quotes.  This one from Betty's Rose is about her being an unwitting dunce:

"We were never allowed to wear berets in high school.  It was against the St. Olaf dress code.  They did let me wear a paper cap a lot.  It was long and pointy."  


It certainly isn't the funniest thing that Rose has ever said.  But it does appear on the only two-page spread dedicated to Miami's biggest-hearted bubblehead (with the biggest and best bubble 'do!).  Also, it mentions St. Olaf, which is always a win.  Rose's homespun yarns about America's heartland never fail to crack me up, and I love that Rose has such a rich backstory, however logic-defying, from which to draw.      

Betty, I wish you the biggest, bubbliest, and best of birthdays.  No matter how old you get, you always seem young in spirit.  

I guess she who gets laughed at the most laughs last!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Ohhh, what a cute book!!! And what a cute brooch! Rose is totally my favorite from the group of Golden Girls. I love her ditzy, innocent personality and her funny stories of St. Olaf. ❤️ That quote of hers is hilarious! And it's amazing that she's 99 years old now!